Is That Clear

Bruce sits on his throne with Alfred by his shoulder as he admonishes Dick. Flounder watches from afar worriedly.

Bruce: I just don't know what we're going to do with you, young man.

Dick: Bruce, I'm sorry, I just forgot, I -

Bruce: As a result of your careless behavior -

Alfred: (poking out between Triton's crown and interjecting) Careless and reckless behavior!

Alfred: - the entire celebration was, er -

Alfred: (poking out between Bruce's shoulder and interjecting once again) Well, it was ruined! That's all. Completely destroyed! This concert was to be the pinnacle of my distinguished career. Now thanks to you I am the laughingstock of the entire kingdom!

Flounder: (rushing out to confront Alfred angrily) But it wasn't her fault! (nervously speaking as he realizes what he's gotten himself into) Ah - well - first, ahh, this shark chased us - yeah - yeah! And we tried to- (Bruce and Alfred look to one another, raising a brow, unconvinced.) But we couldn't - and - grrrrrrrrr - and - and we - (spinning around) whoooaaaaaa oh, and then we were safe. But then this seagull came, and it was this is this, and that is that, and -

Bruce: Seagull? (Flounder gasps, putting his fins up to his mouth, realizing he gave Dick away. Flounder hides behind Dick as he looks back angrily at him. Bruce rises from his throne) What? Oh - you went up to the surface again, didn't you? Didn't you?

Dick backs up, wide-eyed.

Dick: (shrugging) Nothing - happened...

Bruce: (slapping his hand to his face) Oh, old chum, how many times must we go through this? You could've been seen by one of those barbarians - by - by one of those humans!

Dick: Bruce, they're not barbarians!

Bruce: They're dangerous. (picking up Dick's chin) Do you think I want to see my youthful ward snared by some fish-eater's hook?

Dick: (backing away and shaking his head) I'm sixteen years old - I'm not a child anymore -

Bruce: (wagging his finger angrily) Don't you take that tone of voice with me young man.

Dick: Well-

Bruce: As long as you live under my ocean, you'll obey my rules!

Dick: If- But if you would just listen -

Bruce: (turning away) Not another word - and I am never, never to hear of you going to the surface again. Is that clear?

Dick's lip quivers. He exhales and swims away with Flounder tailing behind. Bruce sits on his throne and rests his head in his hand.

Alfred: Hm! Teenagers... They think they know everything. You give them an inch, they swim all over you.

Bruce: (with a concerned expression) Do you, er, think I - I was too hard on him?

Alfred: Definitely not. Why, Dick was my son, I'd show him who was boss. None of this "flitting to the surface" and other such nonsense. No, sir - I'd keep him under tight control.

Bruce rubs his chin and suddenly has a light bulb moment.

Bruce: You're absolutely right, Alfred.

Alfred: (arms crossed) Of course.

Bruce: Dick needs constant supervision.

Alfred: Constant.

Bruce: Someone to watch over him - to keep him out of trouble.

Alfred: All the time -

Bruce: (poking Alfred in the belly) And you are just the crab to do it.

Alfred eyes go wide.