Chapter Twenty-One: Sorry

~Xavier~

"Aurora"

I take a step towards her, not denying our bond any longer, not letting Tom's words reign over me, and holding her as close to me as I can.

"Why-why were you so distant? I thought-I thought you didn't want me anymore."

"I know baby. I-I am so sorry. I was so fucking scared to hurt you that I ended up doing just that. I want this baby with you. I have always wanted this with you. You-you can't leave me because I won't let you. I'm physically incapable of breathing without you. You are everything to me, every fucking thing, do you understand?"

"No, No-this, this is confusing Xavier-"

"I know, I fucked up, but I can't, I won't live without you! When I wake up I only think of you! When I breathe, I only think of you, when I look at you, all I am consumed by is wanting to hold you, love you, so no, no you can't leave because if you leave I have no point in living at all."

My chest rose and fell as the words left my mouth.

"Okay" softly leaves her lips.

"Okay," I say.

I watch as her tear-filled eyes meet mine and she nods.

A moment of silence passes before I hear her speak.

"I am scared Xavier. S-something hasn't felt right."

"I know baby, this is all new to you, to us. It is bound to feel unnatural at times. You are carrying an alpha's child Rory."

She slowly nods her head and places her hand on her stomach.

"Yeah, you are probably right."

I lean in and kiss her forehead before getting on my knees and kissing her belly.

I whisper into her stomach.

"We are going to love you with everything we have."

I stand up and pull Rory back into my chest. Scared to death to let go. I was afraid before, and I almost lost her. Tom's fucking words I let get to me could have ruined us. I won't let it happen again. No matter my fears. I will be strong for her and for our child.

(A month later)

~Aurora~

Everything fell back into place. Everything felt right again...except me. No matter how happy I am about our child, about this pregnancy, I can't help this underlying feeling that something is wrong. That something is just...not okay.

Xavier said because he is an Alpha, my body may be under more stress to carry his pup. That it is a new experience and that is what I am feeling. I nod and smile at him when he says these things, but I know something else is going on. I just...don't know what.

"Are you excited to meet her?" I hear Xavier ask.

It's been weeks since Xavier found out about the pregnancy. Which for the record is moving fast. My stomach is already huge. From what Xavier and his mom have told me, a werewolf's pregnancy only lasts a couple of months. Everything was moving faster than it would normally.

"I-I yes."

Xavier smiles.

He has been so happy. So happy.

As much as I have wanted to be, something in me tells me I can't.

Before I can say anything, Xavier pops up his head from the bed.

"Someone is here."

My heart begins to pound.

"Hey, you're alright, I got you. And her." He says kissing my cheek and my stomach before getting off of the bed. I follow him out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

He turns back and looks at me.

"It's your father."

I nod and look down at my belly. We haven't seen him since I found out I was pregnant.

Xavier walks and opens the door, revealing my father.

"Gresham," Xavier says.

I never called. I never reached out. Until this very moment, I never wanted him to be here as my father. Not until now.

He looks at Xavier, then at me, then at my stomach. I can see fear and anger come across his face.

My whole body goes cold.

"I hoped it was not true. Dammit!"

He shakes his head, pacing back and forth.

"Do you have any ideas what you have done!" He faces Xavier, yelling at him.

"What the fuck are you talking about? Why are you here?"

Xavier was balling his fists already. He is ten times more protective of me now that I am pregnant.

My father gestures down at my stomach.

"This! This...She-" He can't seem to get the words out.

"Dad," I say.

When he looks at me, I feel a pain in my chest. This is it.

"Aurora, my daughter...I am so so sorry. I wish we had more time." His words confirm my fears. What I have felt for weeks now.

My face barely falls. It barely moves a muscle. I hear my father speak again.

"You've felt it for a while now haven't you?" He says, pain displayed across his face.

"Aurora, what is he talking about?" I turn to face Xavier.

His eyes move from mine to my father.

"Tell me what is happening or I won't hesitate to tear you to pieces Gresham," Xavier says, turning to my father.

My father looks at me for permission. I slowly nod and turn away from both of them as my eyes track the trees moving in the wind outside of our window. I look down at my belly and rub it. Knowing I'll never be able to hold my child more than I am right now.

"She is human. You are an alpha. Her body-it cannot withstand the birth. The counsel should have known this. They should have warned you. Xavier...she won't survive the birth of your child-" he pauses for a moment. "-Aurora is going to die, and there is nothing in this world we can do. And for that my daughter-" I hear him let out a deep breath "-I am so sorry."