Vata

"Vata was and still is my choice to supersede me as the clan leader."

A gathering's been called, to address my taking a yautjanoid as my mate.

"We won't have an ooman governing our people." States, an elder.

The males may be elected as clan leaders, but the wife, or head wife, influences the majority of his decisions.

"An arrangement has been proposed that will be beneficial for all parties."

"We're listening..."

Take Naidka, my mother's choice, or another as my wife. Amara will be my... just there, not second, third, or fourth.

I stand before my father, mother, and brother. I give them my response to the proposition.

I can't go back on my word. I won't. I titled her as my mate, and that's who she is.

I don't want to disappoint my mother, but she can't dictate who I should love.

"I don't understand you or your brother! You can't continue your line with her. She's unable to make me an elder mother."

"I stand by her. She's my mate."

"Vata, you're selfish. And ungrateful for what your father, his father, and so on have worked so hard to achieve!"

Toppling a shrine in her rage, I let her vent. My decision has been made. No one can sway me from it.

"You cared for Naidka before. Give her a child." She pleads.

"You know what that would mean. No, if I cannot be accepted as the clan leader with Amara by my side, then I relinquish my claim to it."

Aduih supports my decision. At least he understands. He met Giselle and took her as his wife at a young age.

He follows the ooman way of keeping one wife. And so far, I've accepted this way also.

The yautjanoid that I thought was her mate isn't. And so this makes for a peculiar situation. As he no longer has rights to her. But she cares for him.

If I'm to keep one mate, then she must also.

"She struggles with our language as Giselle did. Perhaps you can learn their language. You already have a broad understanding of their words. But you must connect with her if you want to remain with her."

My brother's words ring true. We made a physical and a spiritual connection. But it was carnal. "What do you do with your ooman?"

"The same thing that I would do with our females. Except that, we don't have little ones to keep us entertained. And I have to prepare my own food."

I have to catch the food and prepare it. What's her purpose if she can't give me children or prepare food? "The females have no other duties outside of the home. And if she's unable to do that, then why would I want her?"

"That's something that you'll have to figure out. I know why I keep Giselle. I love her."

My brother has a wealth of information about the yautjanoids. He loves them. Everything about them fascinates him. Their way of life, customary beliefs, and social forms captivate him. It was easy for him to accept his wife. He was already in love with her people.

I've taken her with me on the hunt for food. I showed her the roots and plants that we eat. Her face registers disgust when I skin a pig and consume it. I find humor in it. As the act of them putting fire to their food repulses me.

One thing that I've learned about them is that they love water. The sight of it compels them to remove their garments and rush into it.

Watching her, she goes under and resurfaces a few paces away. Going under again, I'm waiting for her to come back up. I'm alarmed when she doesn't. I come to my feet expectantly.

Quickly going into the water, I search for her. Going under, I'm unable to locate her. Panicked, I searched again. I resurface with added weight on my back.

In attack mode, I sling the assailant over my head. With my hand around her throat, I could have hurt her.

Retracting my blade, she offers an uncomfortable smile. "I was just trying to get you to come into the water with me."

A mocking laugh follows. And with my hands on her shoulders, I push her under the water. She fights me, but I'm stronger. I keep her held under until her struggles lessen.

Finally allowing her to come up, Amara's breathing deeply. And trying to catch her breath. Shaking, she's in a state of shock. I imitate her laugh.

An open-handed strike to the face silences me. Before she angrily leaves the water and me.