Amara

The shark fest's in full effect. The community members are gathered together with a constant guard at the cinnamon punch table.

Hiding my smile, I locate Dominic. He's with a worn down, frail-looking Travis.

With everything that's been going on, I forgot about him and his health issues. He's seated in a makeshift wheelchair. I don't understand what happened to him.

"Hey, can I talk to you?"

"Sure." He states, giving Travis a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

Following him, I make sure that we're out of earshot. "What's wrong? You're not having second thoughts, are you? I understand if you are, but we can't stay here any longer. I mean, look at him. He's dying."

"I'm not." I am. I want to go back home, but I'm going to miss Vata. I recount the events of last night. I'd been alone. I was exploring the partially built home that was to be gifted to me.

"Damn it, Vata."

A crackling sound has me frozen in place. I muster up the courage to turn and face it. It's one of them, her. She's strapped and ready for a fight. She has a helmet, spear, and circular things with blades.

"I don't understand," I state, at her words dripping with venom.

"She says you'll meet her tonight in the grove where Vata took you." I'm relieved when Liam comes into view.

"You'll leave with the ones that you came with. Go back to where you came from. She'll set the course on the ship for you."

"What about the ship?"

"It'll automatically be set to return here." Explains Liam.

I'm quiet. It wasn't supposed to be this easy. Our chances of stealing a ship are seventy percent. Making it off of the ground, ten percent. Not being found out and blown to smithereens, five percent.

But we did it with the help of Naidka and Liam. He'd said his goodbyes after wandering around the ship. He loves their technology.

I'm given a small gift before he bows slightly to me. Waving farewell, he exits, running as fast as his legs can carry him in the opposite direction.

The ship starts up, and no one says anything. We're holding our breaths. Together, we watch as the illumination from the community goes completely dark. And the village where the Yautjas reside, their lights soon follow.

A collaborative victory yell assaults my ears, with Travis sounding like a wounded puppy. I maintain my silence. Waiting... Hoping... He doesn't show. It's wishful thinking at best to expect that he would.

I would have gladly pushed every button on the ship to bring us back down to him. Liam tried to teach me the Yautja language. Only one word stuck.

Kismet, the word that Vata uttered to me our last night on the hunting planet. He'd let fate decide if we were to be together. And she'd decided that it was meant to be.

I'd done the same thing. I had rejected his request for me to come to him. If I did, then I would've missed the ship. I wouldn't have left.

I guess Kismet doesn't give second chances.

Dominic has friends in high places. We'd been given new identities and were sent on our way. We were advised to keep a low profile.

That was eight weeks ago. I'm adjusting to my new life as April O'Neil, named by Dominic. If looks could've killed. The ninja turtle lady, really? Ooh... that man! Travis is named Danny Pennington, and Dominic's Casey Jones.

My experience has left me changed. I've decided that a life off of the grid is for me. Abandoning my life in California, I've taken up residence in no man's land, Alaska. There's a small community of twenty people.

My neighbor's five miles away. And I'm loving this existence so far. I'd chosen not to participate in the weekly social gathering at Mac's Ale, the community tavern.

Instead, I settle in with a bottle of wine and my cat, Taffy. She's by my side, watching the display of rainbow-colored lights in the sky.

My thoughts stray to Vata, and I shake my head to clear it. I don't need depression with a side of tears tonight. I involuntarily squeeze the metal trinket of Vata that Liam gave me. I let my emotions get the best of me and I toss it against the wall.

Angry at myself for my unhappiness, I finish my wine. Making my way through bottle number two, I decide that it's a good idea to go to Mac's.

I haven't been laid since Vata, and I'm in need of a good spanking. I'm dressed as sexy as the Alaskan cold will allow. I have on jeans, two shirts, a fleece jacket, a long hooded cardigan, snow boots, ear muffs, and gloves. I enter Mac's with one thing on my mind.

"Give me another one..."

A vodka neat is placed before me. And taking it down in one swallow, I'm thoroughly peeved. I expected to find a Jason Momoa twin, sexily swilling pints of beer.

The pickings are very slim. Dexter's laboratory, Ed, Edd, n Eddy, and Johnny Bravo doppelgängers are my choices. Four Vodkas in, and Johnny starts to resemble Mr. Momoa.

Giving him an inviting smile, I receive a wink in return. "Now, why would you choose that when you could have me." It can't be...

Dominic's taken a seat beside me. "How did you find me?"

"I've always known where you were. I had my friend keep tabs on the both of you."

I'm at a loss for words and ecstatic to see a familiar face. "Oh, I'm happy to see you, too." He states, of my bear hug.

"I'm here to get you. To take you with me."

"What? No, I'm happy here."

"My friend's disappeared, and Travis went missing a week later."

"What happened?"

"I don't know. But my gut tells me that it's not a coincidence."

There's a loud electric snap, and the power goes. Shocked gasps echo throughout the room. And sharp comments from the patrons follow. "Settle down, folks. The generator should kick on in a moment." States, Mac.

A flashlight comes on, and a bullet breaks through the front glass window, hitting Mac in the chest. It's pandemonium as he falls to his knees, and a second bullet hits his head. Dominic pulls me to the floor. And I'm immediately led to the back of the building.

"Shit!" I state. I'd left my keys in my jacket at the bar.

"My keys!"

"We can take my truck!"

Bullets whiz through the air. Someone's eliminating the customers, one by one. Kicking the back door open, a lone truck's waiting.

"You were expecting this?"

"I was prepared for anything." Gunning the engine, we take off into the night.