Dominic

These beings take what they want when they want. Plucking Amara from my arms it's a blatant insult that leaves me fuming.

"We're subservient to them. We are, after all, guests here." Liam's attempt to try to lighten the slight, fails miserably.

"Was there an agreement before him?"

"No, but still..."

"Vata risks his right, as the future leader of the clan, for her. He's not going to let her go so easily. They're a jealous lot with an alpha complex."

"Wouldn't it be easier just to get rid of me?"

"What honor would there be in that? The glory comes from your emasculation."

The truth stings. But oh, okay. If that's how this is to be played... I can think of no better way to do it.

Our habitat is on the outskirts of a humid, rich jungle. The colony leaders, Cara and Joy have a cheerful and carefree disposition.

"We want you all to feel at home here because this is your home." The tall dark-skinned woman named Cara gives us a tour of the grounds.

"This will be your home."

It's a large two-story house. And entering, I'm impressed. It's exquisite with beautiful hand-carved decorations and furniture.

"Wow..." Says Amara, her hand moving along the base of a chair.

"We had an awesome furniture maker." States, Joy.

"He passed?" Inquires Amara, testing the chair.

"He was replaced, along with another."

Now it's my time to be nosey.

"Replaced how, and by who?"

"There's no need to get into all of that right now." Cara gives Joy a warning look, before smiling nervously back at us.

"Tomorrow, you'll start survival training."

"Wait...wait... what are we surviving?" I ask as it seems like paradise is starting to become a nightmare.

"Everyone has to do it. Well, it's optional for you." She says to Amara.

"Why, because I'm a woman?"

"It's because of what you're spreading your legs to." Joy's snappish tone brings Amara to her feet.

"Joy... I'm sorry. She's not herself. Grief can do that to you."

"We understand," I state quickly.

"Training starts at first light," Cara says, herding Joy out the door.

We wait until they're long gone. She's staring at me with wide eyes, and I'm replaying the conversation in my head."

"I take it that we're on the same page?" I ask.

"Yep, you may be in trouble."

"Me? You mean we."

"Nah... you heard her. The spreadeth of my leg-geths giveth me the immunity."

The situation is serious, but I can't stop the snort of laughter that escapes. I love her sense of humor. She sometimes gets on my nerves, but I'm crazy about her.

"So, what am I gonna do?"

"We're gonna find out what the hell is going on." She says, her smile dropping.

We'd been entertaining the community members for days. They've been coming by to welcome us and invite us to their homes for dinner and other gatherings.

It doesn't take long for me to grow tired of it all. I'm craving some necessary evil in the wake of all of this sickening goodness. I mix a few stimulating herbs into the watered-down cinnamon drink.

The survival training is turning out to be good for something. Joy joins me and I offer her a drink. To which she declines.

Watching our stick-up-the-butt neighbors getting sauced, things get kinky real quick.

Articles of clothing are discarded. And laughter turns to whispered words and high-pitched giggles.

"Cara's going to have a fit in the morning." She states as we watch her and a couple making out on the top of a table. They're hungry, and she's the main course.

"They'll thank me in the morning," I reply, watching the beginning stages of the orgy.

"I wouldn't mind thanking you in the morning."

Her watchful gaze is free of humor. She waits for my response.

Oh okay...