December 26th

2019

"Success! The three tiny tyrants are asleep!" Colin announced triumphantly as he descended the stairs, raising his fist in a victorious gesture. Wanda, sprawled on the couch before the crackling fireplace, chuckled softly at the sight. LeighAnn, a seasoned veteran of over a year, had become accustomed to Colin's doting ways, often drifting off only in his embrace. On particularly stubborn nights, Colin's bedtime storytelling strolls had been known to stretch on for what felt like an eternity. His personal best? A staggering 27 laps around the house, courtesy of a determined LeighAnn.

Collapsing onto the couch beside his wife, Colin mused, "I can't believe how quickly she's growing. Was it this chaotic with the other two, or have we just perfected the art of toddler taming?"

"Oh, absolutely." Wanda nestled closer to her husband. "I think you've conveniently blocked out the chaos, given the passage of time. After all, Belle is fourteen now, gracefully tiptoeing into the treacherous territory of teenagehood."

"Oh, spare me the horror!" Colin grumbled. "Before we know it, she'll be parading boys through the door, and I am definitely not mentally prepared for that."

Wanda chuckled. "You're absolutely right, old man. I mean, come on, you're only a youthful 34!"

"Exactly," Colin murmured, draping his arm around his wife as they gazed into the crackling fire, its voracious appetite for wood filling the room with warmth. His mind drifted back to their first Christmas together, a time when their apartment was sparsely furnished, but their love for each other was abundant. Fifteen years of marriage had passed, marked by remarkably few quarrels. The memory of the last time Wanda had rescued a stray, a fellow named Thommy, from the woods came to mind. Thommy had since found employment at the hotel and taken up residence in the forest guesthouse Wanda had arranged for him. However, even after six months, he remained enigmatic and reserved. "So, what's Thommy's plan for Christmas?" Colin inquired, his curiosity piqued.

"I suppose he'll keep to himself. I just can't fathom the boy. There must be something profoundly troubling in his past. What could drive a sixteen-year-old to endure such solitude in the woods for so long? What has he been through?"

"I wish I had the answers, baby," Colin whispered, enveloping Wanda in a tighter embrace and pressing his lips gently to her hair.

Wanda mused, running her icy hand under Colin's sweater in search of warmth. "He only shared the standard foster family drama and the bit about his adoptive parents returning him to the orphanage. Poor kid doesn't even know his real parents. It's just so... incredibly sad. You'd think he'd be a ball of anger, but no, he's as calm as a cucumber and super helpful."

Colin pondered. Thommy had indeed proven to be a valuable asset, tackling every task with gusto. "I really hope he finds his own family one day," Wanda added. "That he discovers where he belongs and finds happiness with someone who's there for him."

"Have you got any idea the sheer magnitude of love I have for you?" Colin inquired, his smile as gentle as a kitten with a feather. "Your heart is so colossal, it could probably double as a hot air balloon. And I'm absolutely certain that Thommy will find his happiness one day. We just need to be patient with the lad. He's never quite grasped the concept of trust. But mark my words, in about four or five years, he'll be sitting at the Christmas table with his family, probably arguing over who gets the last piece of pie."

"By then, he'll be twenty-one. And in five years, a ripe old twenty-two."

"Big deal," Colin laughed. "I tied the knot with you at twenty. That was a good fifteen years back, by the by. Fifteen years of love, three kids, and I've lost count of the number of times I've had to hide the body." He scooched down a tad on the couch and planted a kiss on the tip of Wanda's nose. "And if I had a time machine, I'd do it all over again. I'd say 'I do' to you in a heartbeat, baby."