I Would Rather Die Than Fall In Love With You

"Hey!"

Adam glanced back at the cheerful, bright voice. The boy was slightly taller than him, and he's got fair skin. His dark hair was fluffy and his smile friendly. 

"Hey..." Adam said. The other boy came to stand beside him and told him, "Are you assigned in this room, too?" 

"Yes."

"Me too! We're roommates, then! My name is Elijah," he grinned, holding out a hand. Adam was about to unlock the door and enter. He let go of the handle and grabbed the other boy's hand and shook it, 

"Adam. Hope we get along well."

"Of course we will!" 

The dormitory rooms weren't too nice, Adam thought, gloomy. He knew he couldn't expect them to be too luxurious, but still...

"At least they painted the walls anew," he muttered, putting down his bag on top of his luggage and starting to make his bed on the single bed along with the wall. The other boy said loudly, 

"You're gonna start working as soon as you arrived? Come on! Let's go out and take a tour around here first!" 

"You go, I won't probably go out until I've finished here. I won't be able to sleep if my bed is not well-prepared," Adam told him. 

"Hey, did you go to some strict boarding school? The ones run by the defense corps?" Elijah asked, amused. 

"Yes," Adam wasn't the least bit amused. 

"Oh..." 

Elijah left him alone. Adam was rather glad. The boy was way too friend for their first time meeting. He would rather observe his surroundings before deciding whom he would be friends with. It is an important part of dorm and university life, after all. He can't afford making any mistakes while making friends. He would be careful and wary, like always.

Everything was in its place and the room was as habitable as it could be. Well, half of the room, anyway. He glanced over at the other bed. Cloths and bags jumbled on top of it. That boy hasn't still returned. And it's already past evening. It was a bad sign. If he was like this at the very beginning...

Well, perhaps it's because this is just the beginning. When classes start, he would fall in line on his own. Or so Adam hoped. It wouldn't make him feel great if his roommate turns out to be someone bad at studies and even a delinquent. He frowned, walking towards the bathrooms. He had come to check out this place last week. The state of the building alone was saddening enough. Now he didn't want an unruly roommate on top of that. 

"Hey! You took a bath?" that boy was leaning against the wall, sitting on his own bed, "Man, I need one too! But isn't it too cold?" 

"They supply warm water twice a day. At 8 o'clock and at 6 in the evening," Adam informed him. 

"Whoa, seems like you know quite well about this place."

He didn't bother responding to that. Adam started to flip through his books, his heart fluttering ever so slightly. He started reading this and that at home already. While he sat at his table, Elijah slowly started to sort out his things. Adam went to bed early. But Elijah was in the bathrooms, so he waited for him to come back. When Elijah returned, Adam told him,

"Could we sleep early tonight? If you have nothing important to do, would you mind putting the light off?"

"Yeah, no problem," Elijah said. 

He wasn't rude or as chatty as Adam had first suspected. It was slightly comforting. 

Classes started the next week and soon he had many friends. After classes, they would go roam around in the area. The seniors have bikes, and even a few of their classmates, who didn't live in the dorms, brought their own motorcycles. Adam liked riding with them. It was cool, university life, he thought, as they all hung out after classes on a particularly bright day.