CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN: AN INVITATION

Theolinda inquired of Ryan:

"How are you so certain he stole the painting? I acknowledge that it is a possibility, but there are many others that we cannot rule out."

Ryan responded:

"This guy is the model for an idol worshiper. He would do everything for his idol, even if he didn't ask him to. It occurred to me. Members of the Shadow Cult performed services for me that I had not requested. The messenger knows Dane hates 'Lovers,' so what better way to show his affection than to steal the painting?"

Theolinda had to concede that Ryan's words made sense.

"I have to write to him again," Theo stated.

"No," Ryan replied. "I will create a profile on the Tredwell Lair app and contact him. This is quite risky."

Exasperated, Theolinda stated:

"Ryan, I was a police officer; do you remember? I know the dangers involved."

"Yes, but now you're pregnant, and it's a risky pregnancy. I don't want you to be at any risk."

Theolinda noticed Ryan's concern in his eyes and had to confess that he was correct. She knew that her pregnancy added an extra level of vulnerability, and Ryan's determination to protect her was touching. Reluctantly, Theolinda agreed to let Ryan handle the situation.

"Okay, but let's plan things together," Theolinda said, grateful for Ryan's support and eager to face whatever challenges lay ahead as a team.

"Yes, boss," Ryan responded with a wink.

Theolinda smiled. Ryan appeared to be happier. She didn't like seeing him in such a desperate state the night before. In any case, she knew he was still filled with sadness.

"Don't you have to go to class?" she questioned.

"Yes, I should go. I'm going to be late. Thank you very much, Theo."

"You are welcome," she said with a warm smile.

Ryan kissed her on the cheek before leaving. She watched him leave, hoping that he would find some peace. Theolinda wished she could take away all his pain and sadness, but she knew it was something he had to face on his own.

Theolinda thought:

'I love you so much, Ryan.'