C H A P T E R 2

"WHAT!"

The girls spoke in union. I just sat there, trying to process reality. My mind instantly went back to the sleepless nights I had to spend to make my music worth time, the times when I cried and cried and thought to end the career, the times I regretted my decision to drop out and pursue music. I was so overjoyed, but mostly still thinking if this was a dream or not. But then my mind came back to the present when I heard Nateline and Jess arguing for their debut, and then from the corner of my eye I saw Han-soo shedding some fake crocodile tears, and in the corner was Chul whose face was red in anger and she looked like she was about to murder everyone in this room right now.

"ENOUGH!"

A strong enough yell to silence everyone in the room was heard. I look towards the owner of the voice and found Bang PD-nim glaring at the 4 girls before scolding them, 

"Your anger is not at all justified, and you should be working harder and improving yourselves instead of forcing your undeserved debut. Crying and shouting won't do the thing, got it?"

The girls nodded, some rolled their eyes while the others snickered. "Dismissed." He said sharply as my fellow ex-members exited without a single word spoken. PD-nim told me to stay back and I did. 

"Congratulations Ae-mi, you know you deserved this. You are the most hardworking trainee in HYBE right now."

I chuckled and bowed respectfully. "Thank you so much, I-I'm just a bit flustered..." I was overwhelmed and shocked and excited and what not. But just said the needful.

"I wanted to give you an offer Ae-mi, you see, I understand that you didn't sign up for being a soloist. I don't want to go against your preferences but you see the circumstances are such that I don't want to debut any unprepared trainee at this point of time. But you being the prepared candidate, it feels unfair to push your debut ahead of time for no reason. So for now, you can debut as a soloist. BUT, if you wish to be in a group, you can wait for some time, we will need to pick new trainees to be part of your group since the previous one clearly has no sign of future success. But that will take some, even lots of time."

I listened carefully to his words, understanding each for my future aspects and needs. What if it gets too lonely as a soloist?

"How much time will it take to form a new group sir?"

"You know, we need to pick some candidates, evaluate them, form a group, and evaluate from that as well. The minimum time would be 1-1.5 years. We can't promise anything quickly Ae-mi. You future is now in your hands." That sounded more nerve-wrecking than it should have. I sighed. I had nothing to lose, did I? Oh wait, I had time. Time is precious.

"I think being a soloist is the better option here, isn't it?"

He smiled at me and nodded, and then I knew that that was the better decision. I jus wondered how happy my eomma and oppa would be hearing this news. 

"So, how about we start the preparation for your debut from Monday? Get some rest till then. But let's make sure to drop our music before the New Year's eve."

"Alright!" I responded merrily, the smile never leaving my face. But then a question popped up in my head as I quickly asked, "But since I am not part of their group anymore, I'd have to move out of the dorm isn't it?"

I was living with the four girls ever since our group formed. So I wondered where I was to go now. I looked at PD-nim, who seemed to be in his thoughts, but then he spoke.

"I have a few apartments in Songpa-Gu district, only for idols. It's a bit far away from the Hybe building here in Yongsan-Gu, but it's quite safe compared to other regions. Maybe you can live there."

I was a bit shook at how casually he just recommended to shift my entire location. But since safety is priority, I agreed. The matter of fact was that I may get famous instantly after debut, so I needed to be secretive and protective of myself in some situations.

"That seems good, can you send me the location, I'll check it out someday."

He sent me important details and told me drop by on Saturday, 2 days prior the debut preparation to sign the contract and finish up some formalities. Later on we exchanged goodbye's and I left. Rushing over to my studio, and locking the door. Unable to contain my excitement I let out a small scream and texted my eomma about the debut and dialed my brother's number. We haven't spoken since 3 weeks and I am getting nervous for no reason.

When he picked up the call, I began speaking, "OPPA! Do you know what even happened today?" 

"Chill, calm down Ae-mi. Hold your horses." He responded chuckling into the line.

"OPPA I AM GOING TO DEBUT!"

There was silence on the other line for a brief moment and then he yelled, "WHAT! WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN!?"

"RIGHT NOW!" I yelled back enthusiastically, more like two idiots speaking to each other and yelling their lungs out.

"Jjinja! I am so proud of you Ae-mi, congratulations sis!"

"I know, I am so happy, I can't wait to tell eomma."

"Well, this news was unexpected. When are you going to debut? Is it with the same group of girls you hate?"

"Well, the date is not decided yet but roughly before the new year. And I am not debuting in a group oppa..."

"What do you mea-...wait...YOU ARE GOING TO DEBUT AS A SOLOIST!?"

"YAH! My ears...aish, well yeah. Better than not debuting at least. The company said that if I were to debut in a deserving group, I'd have to wait a year, maybe even more."

"Then you did the correct thing, I'm really so proud of you, eomma will be too."

"Hmm" I said, getting a bit emotional.

"Sis it's already 8 now, go back to your dorm and take some rest."

"I got a break for 6 days, the recording and stuff is gonna start from Monday. But y'know what, I'll sleep so nicely today!"

"As you should, I'll tell eomma to call you once I reach home, take care, don't stress yourself."

"You too, good night oppa."