7. SHARP

I wake up early, my temples pulsating due to the few hours of sleep. I've been in my office until late evening, busy gathering all the material Doyle requested, and here's the result of her clever idea. The thought of having to see her in a few hours, ready to ask a thousand questions and philosophize, irritates me, worsening my headache. With a grunt, I force myself to get up, carefully surveying the rooms. Doyle was already in her room when I returned (of course, since she had the whole afternoon off, having assigned me the more burdensome task), and at the moment, she doesn't seem to have woken up before me, as everything is as I left it last night.

I take the wand from the desk and, with a swift motion, light the candles, illuminating the room so I can choose my clothes. Despite it being summer, my mood couldn't be darker, so I opt for a dark blue shirt and brown trousers and boots. I ensure that the footwear has buckles, allowing me to tighten the left one to alleviate the pain in my leg. All these years have passed, and I still haven't managed to find a cure...

With a frustrated sigh, I put on a dark green silk robe, grab the clothes I'll wear today, and head to the Prefects' Bathroom for my morning swim. I adopted this habit after a trip to Italy, in the summer of 1893, when I decided to visit Claire, who had become known for defeating Ranrok and had moved to Genoa to pursue her career as a magical historian. Well, the reason wasn't simply a courtesy visit. During her seventh year at school, our relationship had intensified to the point of becoming quite intimate, so once our academic obligations were over, we decided to... deepen our connection. Things didn't go as planned due to the distance, but I've happily maintained the morning swimming routine, given the mental and physical benefits it provides, especially for my leg.

I open the door to the Prefects' Bathroom, fortunately still deserted at this hour. I place the clothes on a stool and remove the robe, the cold marble-covered room sending shivers across my naked skin, waking me from the lingering sleepiness. I stride onto the mat and dive in, the sensation of warm water enveloping my body like a soft blanket. The swim brings me back to life, although it fails to alleviate the headache. The throbbing pain in my temples constantly reminds me of Doyle's presence just a few meters away and the day we'll have to spend in close quarters – the first of many.

I realize I think about her far too much, and not in the way I'd normally dedicate my thoughts to a beautiful woman. Her appearance, though pleasant, is overshadowed by the force with which her presence was imposed on me, and clearly, her demeanor doesn't help. If I were a worse man, I'd know how to put her in her place. Inevitably, the thought sends a shiver through my lower abdomen. I turn on one of the large faucets, letting the cold water stream hit me to halt this sensation – enjoyable, certainly, but impossible to indulge – and step out of the tub to dry myself, being careful not to look at the scar on my left leg that constantly reminds me of the end of my Auror career.

From the windows, I can see the sun has risen; so once dressed, I return to my quarters, where there is no sound. A sign that Doyle is still asleep: another demonstration of her lack of professionalism, as she will inevitably be late for our meeting if she continues to delay.

I take a Numbing Potion from one of the cases where I keep medicinal vials and head towards the Great Hall for breakfast. Around me, the few souls currently in the castle are waking up. All except one. I look up at the sky and quicken my pace, sitting at my place at the professors' table, where a hearty plate of porridge, eggs, and fruit materializes directly from the kitchens. I start eating slowly, savoring the flavors and exchanging a few words with Professor Garlick about the plants she'll be cultivating this year, needed for both Potion and Alchemy classes.

When Matilda enters, I notice her smug expression as she greets me, but fortunately, she doesn't bring up the annoying topic of suddenly having an unwanted roommate. I, in turn, decide to ignore the matter, resigned to the fact that this situation cannot be changed in any way.