How to Hatch a Spinosaurus

With her head resting on her arms, Amy studied the egg that was before her, waiting for the football sized egg to hatch.

She had already been here for five hours -every thirty minutes Doctor Wu himself would stop by to check on her and the egg's process, always making sure to remind her that the egg would eventually hatch. With her arms crossed and her chin resting on them, Amy watched the sand-colored egg with rapt attention. Watching. Waiting. Waiting for to see her first dinosaur hatchling.

The nursery was nothing more than a special side of the lab with eggs in incubators and orange lights to show the heat index. The Spinosaurus egg had been removed and placed on a table designed specifically for hatching the eggs, one lamp trained on the egg as it rested on straw. Amy, after listening to some of the scientists complain for several minutes, had grabbed someone's chair and had wheeled it up to the table. Apparently no one came in when the dinosaurs hatched. With the light trained on the egg, Amy could just see the shape of the dinosaur inside. It looked huge; most of the baby Spinosaurus took up the egg now and she could just work out the tail of the baby. There were a few scientists that would glance over at them and this only caused Amy to be a little concerned.

Henry had said that there had only been one faulty egg; it had been the sister egg to the three-day old Stegosaurus that was currently waddling about in the Gentle Giant. While that baby dinosaur was absolutely fine, the other one hadn't even twitched inside the egg before it had been concluded as dead just yesterday. Amy was praying that this Spinosaurus egg wasn't like that, though Henry was beginning to become slightly worried.

If the dinosaur didn't hatch in the next two hours, then there would be no hope for it.

She had been listening to a playlist on her phone for the past three hours herself. Never did she tire of Lifehouse, Pitbull, and some Fall Out Boy. It was a list of thirty-one songs that she just simply pressed shuffle and would listen to them for as long as she needed too. Some of the songs were fun, some of them were relaxing, and others made her want to curl up and cry. But they were all so good; Broken by Lifehouse, We Are the Brave by VERIDIA, Fun by Pitbull feat Christ Brown, and Novocain by Fall Out Boy were her absolute favorites. The music helped quench the panic that was beginning to arise in her chest.

"Ms. Grant?"

Pulling free one of her earbuds, Amy lifted her head up to see Claire Dearing standing behind her, a frown touching her face. Turning in her chair, Amy smiled and waved at the redhead. "Amy's fine, Claire. I'm not that old. We're about the same age."

Claire lifted an eyebrow and her frown only grew in size. "Alright, Amy. How is the Spinosaurus egg doing?"

"I'm not that sure. My expertise is more with large mammal predators than anything, though I guess I can compare this to the chickens that my dad has in his backyard." If Claire caught on to Amy's little joke, she didn't show it and the smile on Amy's face faltered. "Doctor Wu seems to be a little concerned with how long that it is taking to hatching."

"It better hatch." Glancing back, Amy saw Claire scowling disapprovingly. "That asset was more than half a million dollars to create."

"That much?"

Claire scoffed at Amy's surprise. "Well, what would you expect? Each one of these dinosaurs we invest thousands in just to have the correct genes. This egg, the Spinosaurus, is special."

"Special? Why? Is there something different with this one?"

The redhead frowned again, her eyes narrowing as if Amy should know something. As Amy sat there, fiddling with her thumbs and unsure of what to say, she simply shrugged her shoulders and gave a small smile. Claire sighed and shook her head. "This Spinosaurus will be the first male of the park."