Chapter 22

The skies trembled. The Quetzal's thunderous cry shook the vicinity as the monstrosity emerged from the depths of the canyon. Its enormous wings violently flapped about, dispersing the dense air around it with ease to gain height. Before long, the Quetzal soared towards the group on the bridge.

Where the hell did this one come from?!

Noel scanned the vicinity of the canyon in a panic, distressed at the sudden appearance of the Quetzal. It was alone, but the monstrous abomination was threatening enough by itself—trying to deal with one atop of a dilapidated bridge over an abyssal canyon was nearly a death sentence.

We need to get out of here.

She, along with Suisei and Vesper, were already more than halfway across the bridge. If they sprinted, they might be able to reach other side of the cliff before the Quetzal's arrival. The problem however—

"Ms. Marine!"

Marine was unresponsive—she was paralyzed as she remained still, staring down at the bottom of the canyon, seemingly oblivious to the Quetzal flying towards them. The seconds elapsed. Noel froze, agonized by indecision. Should she try to save Marine? Does she even have enough time to reach her and make it back? Could they somehow slow down the Quetzal's advance? Her mind spun, trying to calculate the odds to arrive at a logical conclusion.

How—

...

How much is Marine's life worth?

Noel grimaced, repulsed by the disgusting thought. She felt sick. But the rational part of her mind wouldn't allow her to evade the question.

...Dammit!

Noel bit her lips in frustration. The logical conclusion was obvious: she needed to prioritize her own safety. The Empire needed to know about the elf's secret weapon—a piece of intelligence that only Noel currently possessed. She also had to return to Prosperia and prepare her men to defend against a potential attack from the monster horde. Abandoning Marine would rest heavy on her conscious. But the life of a single mercenary cannot be weighed against that of an entire empire.

I'm sorry!

Noel turned around, ready to sprint towards the end of the bridge, until she found herself blocked by Suisei and Vesper.

"Knight Commander, please!" the young lady pleaded with a face that begged her to reconsider.

"Move aside!" Noel screamed.

Suisei and Vesper, however, refused to budge. The seconds passed. The three of them glared at each other in a standoff, while the cries of the Quetzal grew increasingly closer. Desperate, Noel drew her sword.

If they still don't move, I'll just have to cut them down.

Noel raised her weapon, eager to make her killing intent known. Suisei and Vesper visibly trembled under her pressure.

"Don't make me repeat myself!"

Yet, despite their obvious terror, the two still refused to let her pass.

Why?

Her eyes inexplicably wavered.

Why are you making this so damn difficult?!

She hesitated, suddenly seeing Enya's face over the visage of the young lady. The face of her dear friend, who she slain with her own hands. Noel never wanted to do it. Who could be so heartless to want to murder their own friend? And yet, she had done so without complaint, in order to fulfill the duties and obligations she owed to her race. Now once again, those same obligations compelled her to do the unthinkable.