Chapter 19

Bang!

She would have recognized that sound anywhere. The explosive punch from one of her pistols echoed loudly throughout the grove. Each of her guns was specially modified, designed to strengthen the explosive force of the shot. The end result was gunshots with faster bullets and higher piercing power. An unintended side effect was the thunderous crackle that followed.

Marine sprinted towards the sound. The source of the shot didn't seem to be too far away. She had no doubt it was one of her companions, presumably Suisei, who probably found her pistol once it flew off during their descent. There was little chance that anyone else in this grove would know how to use a mechanical hand-held weapon from another world. The issue, however, was its loud, deafening roar. If she could hear it, then their enemies would definitely have heard it too.

Tch.

Just as she feared, the foliage above her began to stir. Elves suddenly emerged from the canopies. One by one, they dropped down, landing silently on the lush bed of moonglow grass with a feline precision. As a group, they moved in the direction of the gunfire. Marine narrowed her eyes. She didn't know much about the elven race, aside from their distinctive blonde hair and pointy-ears. Nor did she feel any particular emotions when she was told about the racial conflict between the humans and elves of this world.

Nonetheless, Marine drew her sword as she crept up on the elven warriors. There was only thing that mattered to her in this moment—the fact that the elves considered them enemies to be eliminated. That hostility was enough for her to abandon any inhibitions.

"Arghhh!"

Deathly cries ensued. Marine's sword swung wide, leaving behind a bloody afterimage.

"Gahhh!"

The screams fell on deaf ears. Marine continued onwards, unfazed by the blood on her hands, her dispassionate eyes became subdued and devoid of humanity. For her, it was a scene all too familiar. The stench of the battlefield—the foul, metallic air that clung to the skin was a hell that she had grew desensitized to. After all, the decade she spent to build up the notoriety of the Houshou Pirates wasn't done by shouting out orders in the rear. Rather her reputation was paid in blood by leading from the frontlines. Her infamy grew from the nightmarish tales told by survivors of her slaughter.

The elves on the ground fell into disarray from her sudden appearance. One of the elves lunged at her, eager to take revenge on their fallen comrades. Marine dropped her shoulder, letting the elf's spear pass by, before slashing open his neck. The elf collapsed, choking on his own blood. The gruesome sound of his gasps for life was harrowing. The elves nearby who witnessed the attack shuddered, shocked by the merciless cruelty. They then also fell to Marine's sword in their brief moment of hesitation.

Some of the elves fled in a panic. The remainder tried to organize their ranks. But Marine was clever. She didn't instantly kill all the elves in her way. Instead, she incapacitated and inflicted significant injuries to a select few. Frozen by their companions' cries for help, the elves were torn between fighting back and trying to aid the injured. The inner conflict eroded their morale and resolve, and Marine took advantage of their indecision.

Relentless, she pressed on, cutting through the fodder, driven by a singular goal. She needed to find Suisei and Vesper. The fact that her pistol had been used was already a terrible premonition.

Bang! Bang!

The crackle of gunfire resounded over the chaos. Marine grew anxious. The pit in her stomach became heavier. The two must have been in trouble.

Where the hell are you guys?!

She swung, cleaving through a set of elves. In the gaps where the bodies fell, Marine caught a glimpse of her companions several meters away. Surrounded by a cadre of elven warriors, Suisei and Vesper were stuck at the base of a huge root protruding from the ground. Marine readied herself to flank the elves when her left eye suddenly began to itch.