Chapter 40

Moments before Kobo entered the cavern.

"Your Highness, please step back!"

Kobo stopped just a few inches before the entrance of the cavern. She peered inside. Despite the enormity of the subterranean space, there wasn't much she could see. Visibility had diminished significantly, hindered by the curtains of sand and dust kicked up by the chaos of the battle. Her only reprieve was that she could still hear the clash of combat echoing beyond the veil.

If she could hear fighting, then it meant her retainers were still alive.

Please!

She clasped her tiny hands together before her chest. Like her late mother had taught her, she closed her eyes and thought of the Lunar Goddess. With a pure heart, she voiced her solemn wishes in silence.

Please come back safe!

Her hands trembled in desperation. She had already repeated the same prayer numerous times.

Each time she grimaced from the loud clamors of combat, each time the silent lull grew unbearably long, each time the anxiety dwelling inside swelled to the point where she wanted to scream—she prayed. It was the only thing she could do from the safety of this corridor.

She hated it.

How could she not? Her people had fought toe and nail through the enemy stronghold to rescue her from the cultists, only then to be ordered to find another stranger deep into enemy's territories. She knew that her command was unreasonable—and she wouldn't even have considered it if not the fact that Vesper was Marine and Suisei's companion. It was by pure chance that her desire aligned with the mercenaries, granting her selfishness justification.

Yet even so, guilt clawed at her heart. Already one person had died senselessly thanks to her orders, sentenced to a gruesome death by the ogres.

Kobo pressed her hand against her mouth, fighting back urge to puke. The terrible memories resurfaced; the sight of her knight being bisected by stone was seared in her mind. She wanted so badly to look away from the gore, but her conscious forbade her.

It was her duty. Her responsibility. Her obligation to witness her retainer's final moments. If no one else remembered their sacrifice, she will. If no one else sang of their bravery and courage, she will.

It was the only thing she could do.

I'm sick of this.

The thought burned in her mind, echoing through her head like a curse. She wanted to do more. Something tangible to help her people survive this gruesome ordeal besides whispering platitudes and praying for divine intervention.

In the end, she knew any reckless actions she took would only make things worse for Reine and Alice.

But even so, there had to be something. Something that even the useless Princess Kanaeru could do.

The earth suddenly shook. Something huge had crashed into the walls near the entrance. The shockwaves nearly knocked Kobo to the ground.

"Your Highness!"

"I'm fine!" Kobo screamed back at her knights. The curtain of sand covering the cavern dispersed momentarily, revealing the situation inside. Kobo saw Suisei and Reine running while desperately pushing Marine forward. On the mercenary's back rested Vesper.

Oh, thank the goddess.

Tears of relief poured down her face. She was so worried that they might have been dead. Beyond that, she was overjoyed that they found Vesper. She needed that man alive. First, so she could reward him for his sacrifice. Second, so she could extract his knowledge and his teachings, for he was the first person that had been able to help her use mana.