Chapter 20

Meanwhile, high up among the branches of the Yggdrasil, the battle between Flare and Noel raged on. Caught in between the clash of two transcendent warriors, Enya ascended the Yggdrasil with great difficulty.

This is bad, this is really damn bad!

She ducked on instinct, crashing onto the floor of the branch, right as a wave of azure energy slashed the air beside her. The branch she was standing on shook violently as the energy wave carved a hole into the trunk of the Yggdrasil. Enya's eyes widened. The bark of the Yggdrasil was famous for being extremely resilient and was coveted across the continent as a rare material to create armor. And yet, the same bark folded like paper against the sharp energy. A deep crescent gash was etched into the trunk. Enya shuddered with the knowledge that she was inches away from being turned into a bloody mush.

She really is trying to kill me!

The two warriors were fighting a few branches beneath her—the sounds of their destructive battle rippled throughout the grove. Despite the distance, Enya had to remain vigilant. Noel's sword could still reach her—the mana suffused in her blade could be sent out like projectiles in the form of crescent energy waves. And after seeing the damage done to the Yggdrasil tree, it was abundantly clear that the attacks were more than enough to kill.

So merciless!

Indignation grew in her heart. The lack of hesitation in Noel's attacks made her increasingly bitter. Enya pulled herself to her feet, desperate to fulfill Flare's orders for her to activate the secret elven weapon. It was the only way to stop the monstrous human hero from eradicating the grove. With her dominant arm severed from earlier, however, she became embarrassingly slow. The balance in her body was off. It felt strange to even walk. And her body was already weak from the resulting blood loss. Climbing the Yggdrasil in these conditions while being attacked from below was unbelievably daunting. The only reason she made it this far was because of Flare's efforts.

"Move Enya!" A desperate cry came from below her.

I'm trying!

Enya ran towards the trunk. There was a web of branches that led to the canopy where Flare's dwelling was located. If she could just reach—

The branch beneath her feet suddenly swayed uncontrollably. Enya nearly lost her balance, just barely managing to stop herself from falling off. Instead, her body instinctively froze upon noticing the ominous presence looming behind her. Enya turned around, holding her breath. Noel had caught up to her. Her cold eyes stared at her, the dull expression on her face devoid of life, unlike the brilliant azure shine of her blade.

"Get a move on!"

A hailstorm of arrows rained down on Noel. Unfazed by the torrent of missiles, Noel simply raised her hand. A dome of mana appeared, forming a translucent shield. The arrows bounced off the mana surface with light thuds.

"Gairm nàdair!"

Flare landed in front of Enya. Immediately, the tanned elf pressed her hand onto the branch while she chanted. A viridescent glow spread along the wooden surface. Flowers and vines suddenly sprouted, growing into a forest of grotesque carnivorous plants. With teeth-like thorns and slimy toxic secretions, the plants launched themselves towards Noel. The knight immediately swung. The moment her sword reached the plants, however, a thick poisonous fume erupted from the cuts. The caustic discharge permeated the air, exploding onto Noel's face.

"Trivial."

Flare narrowed her eyes at the dismissive comment. With a single wave of her hands, Noel caused the fumes to dissipate. Her body then began to glow with a radiant pale blue light. Her dull expression remained unchanging. Whatever Flare had done seemed to have no effect.