Chapter 34

Thirty minutes before Suisei and Alice had escaped their cell.

"Breathe in. Then exhale. Slowly," Vesper instructed with a gentle voice, "Now, can you feel it?"

"...No," Kobo said, shaking her head. The young girl clicked her tongue in anger. Creases formed on her forehead. Her eyes were closed, furrowed in deep concentration, and sweat cascaded down the side of her cheeks. Below her eyes laid a trail of dried tears, coalescing from the frustrations of her fruitless efforts.

"It's fine. This is normal. Try again," Vesper said. His voice was tranquil and firm, but hidden beneath his coat, his hands were clenched tightly. They've been at this for over an hour now. He was trying to teach Kobo the basics of spellcasting, just enough so that she would be able to defend herself when they make their inevitable escape attempt.

Even now, his hands were still shaking. The sight of the captive woman with her mouth stitched shut and the innumerable incisions sliced across her body was seared into his mind. It was a glimpse into what awaited them, should they rest on their laurels and remain within the cells. Vesper had no desire to end up as a test subject for some deranged freaks.

Attempting an escape now, however, was a near suicidal task. Vesper was powerful as a spellcaster, but his weak constitution was a huge hindrance. He might have been able to manage on his own, if he was lucky. It was practically impossible if he had to protect Kobo at the same time.

Should I just leave her behind?

He had dismissed the idea initially. His conscious would not have allowed him to abandon a young lady to a gruesome fate of being torn apart for experiments. Even if he were to escape this place unscathed, he didn't think he could live with the guilt.

But time was running out. Vesper had no clue when the guards would come for them next. The uncertainty drove him insane, as he watched Kobo continue to struggle in vain. She had to clear the final hurdle before she could cast spells—weaving the ambient mana in her vicinity.

"Kobo, face me for a second."

The young lady opened her eyes and turned towards him.

"Tell me if you notice anything," Vesper said. He kept his body still, unmoving. Kobo remained silent, narrowing her eyes in deep focus. Without any hint of movement, Vesper gently tugged at a small chunk of ambient mana near his chest.

"You did something just now," Kobo said instantly.

"What did I do? And where?"

"You pulled mana towards you. Right above where your heart is."

I don't get it.

"That's correct," Vesper nodded as he frowned in contemplation.

Her sensitivity to mana is extraordinary. But why can't she grasp the mana itself?

Maybe he had been too optimistic. Kobo's talent to perceive ambient mana gave him hope that she would be able to grasp the basics without fail. In reality, this was already an unfair expectation. It took him a month before he could overcome this same hurdle. Kobo, however, didn't have the luxury of time.

Vesper closed his eyes and leaned back. The ruggedness of the stony walls uncomfortably etched into his spine. He withstood the discomfort. The pain kept him alert as he debated what to do.

...What would Marine do in this situation?

The pirate had always been always steadfast and confident despite having to deal with a defective like himself and a non-combatant in Suisei. Although Suisei eventually found a way to contribute in combat, their initial days in Prosperia must have been excruciating. Marine never once complained, however—her outrage and frustrations were always directed at their circumstances rather than at them. Vesper found his admiration for Marine growing. He missed his companions. He suddenly felt very alone. In this strange foreign world, where he was an outsider, there were only two other people who could sympathize with his situation.