Chapter 43

Nom.

Marine sunk her teeth into the small, multi-layered pastry in her hands. Her eyes widened, overwhelmed by the explosion of rich flavors. An uncharacteristic squeal escaped her mouth.

This is amazing!

The tender pastry melted like air as she chewed, the buttery and creamy texture caressed her mouth, filling it with a complex taste that made her head spin. It was sweet, yet savory. She recognized hints of nuts and cinnamon, followed by a warm kick and a mild astringent spiciness. The more she chewed, the more flavors were revealed to her as if she was peeling away the layers of a beautifully wrapped present.

"Marine."

I need another one. Now.

Marine immediately reached for another piece. The pastries were positioned in a neat row atop of pristine silverware. She meant to grab only one. Somehow, she ended up with three pieces.

Oops, my hands slipped.

Somehow.

Nom.

"Maaaaarine."

Marine let out a sigh of satisfaction, before washing down the delicacy with a glass of unsweetened wine. Somehow, the contrast between the mild bitterness of the wine and the rich flavors of the pastry made the drink even more tasty.

Whoever thought of this combination must be a genius.

"Marine!"

Marine felt a tug on her arm. She rolled her eyes, reluctantly acquiescing to the attention devouring gremlin by her side. Suisei was staring at her, pouting, seemingly frustrated with her unresponsiveness.

What is with this girl today?

"Yes, yes, I'm listening. What's wrong?"

"I...I don't know what to do!" Suisei said, her face slipped into a panic, "I feel so out of place—there's too many nobles and rich people around me!"

It IS a banquet organized by the princess.

They were inside the massive banquet hall situated across from the royal palace. Intricate chandeliers hung from the ceilings, glistening with a dazzling opulence to snuff out the dark night. Stained-glass paintings lined the walls, diffracting the lights to produce vivid illuminations. An earlier lecture from Kersen revealed that the visuals told the story of how the Sol Kingdom came to be.

Marine and Suisei were camped out by the dessert section, listening to the quiet melodic jazz by the orchestra, while watching the nobles slowly enter the venue. Marine could understand Suisei's concerns. The luxurious outfits wore by the nobles were elaborate and gaudy. Some went overboard with the designs, lining the collars and hems with jewels. Marine found herself squinting as some of them passed by. They were literally sparkling underneath the banquet lights.

"...First time at a banquet?"

A servant dressed in black stopped by to refill her empty glass. Marine sent him off with a brilliant smile.

"No, not my first. But definitely the first one surrounded by rich and important people!"

Important? Debatable. Rich? Probably debatable as well.

From Marine's experience, most nobles were indentured in debt, just barely holding onto their assets from being seized. Of course, most of them could probably escape insolvency by selling a few outfits and jewelries, but nobles would rather die than part with beloved shiny toys.