Chapter Six

The ceremony that N.E.S.T held for the lost soldiers was a heart wrenching one.

For all her support and well wishes, Carolina knew that this was not her place. She did not stand in the congregation of soldiers; because she was not a soldier herself.

However she did catch gaze with both Lennox and Epps throughout the ordeal, and each time she gave them a tiny smile by tilting up the corners of her mouth; I'm here, it said, and I'm in this with you.

She stood a small distance away with the Autobots, watching the entire ceremony with a hand over her heart.

The soldiers saluted, some of them cried; and others wore expressions of battle hardened warriors, men who had long been desensitized to such carnage.

She wished with all her heart that nobody would ever have to know such pains as theirs.

A sigh escaped her, the sound shuddering with her attempts to hold back her tears; and she lowered her hand from her chest to wrap her arms around herself.

She could only imagine how hard the send-off was for the soldiers who had fought alongside the victims.

To the left of her sat Ironhide, Arcee and Sideswipe, on her left was Arcee and the twins; Optimus Prime was parked behind her.

All of them were in their vehicle forms, and none of them said a word; not even Mudflap and Skids broke the silence. What Carolina didn't realize was that a particular Peterbilt was observing her actions with mild concern.

Optimus was not one to pry without cause, so he was not going to ask Carolina to tell him what troubled her; but her reluctance to speak with him did bother him somewhat.

She had stayed close to the Autobots in the hours or so since their return, hardly leaving their sides for more than a few minutes and it had Optimus wondering; what had happened to make her so afraid to be alone?

He was brought out of his thoughts when Carolina backed up, using her hands as a guide until she found the side-steps on his truck form. She ran her hand gently down the paint work as she slid to sit on the metal stepping platform.

Optimus hated to admit it; but her gentle gesture sent a sensational chill right through his Spark Chamber at the touch. Sweet Primus, he thought to himself, observing that the girl had no idea what she was doing to him.

He inwardly scolded himself and pushed the thoughts aside, she was seeking comfort, Prime.

Nothing but. With an internal sigh he tried to ignore the obliviously distracting female who sat beside him, instead continuing to watch the remainder of the N.E.S.T soldiers' send-off with her.

Carolina couldn't describe how she felt at the end of the ceremony. She didn't want to stop honouring them, but she didn't want to continue mourning for those who would not have wished to be pitied.

As Lennox and his team saluted the men at arms, she noticed him turn to see a military chopper approaching the base; his face perplexed.

He took one last look at the finished memorial of the ceremony before turning to half walk-half jog to where the helicopter was landing; clearly it was someone important.

She turned to look up at Optimus before opening the door a crack so that she could talk to him. "What's going on?" she asked, taking a glance in the direction that Lennox had left.

The Prime's radio switched on and she heard his voice ring through on audio. "I am not entirely certain." He sounded just as curious as she felt.

Then she noticed one of the soldiers approaching the Autobots, he looked calm and steady as he addressed them. "Optimus Prime; they're ready for you to prepare your announcement for the JCS."