Chapter Thirteen

"So...how much longer do you think it's going to be before we leave?" Carolina asked, looking at Graham with a concerned face.

It was currently dark out on the tarmac, and the floodlights bathed the concrete. She was standing with the Englishman at the edge of one of the hangars.

"They estimated departure for 2100 hours." He said absently, his gaze focused on the plane that Lennox and Epps had gone to.

She still didn't know why they'd run off so quickly, but she figured it was either not something she was allowed to know, or simply something she wouldn't understand.

Instead, she focused on Graham's answer and counted out on her fingers; trying to remember a 24-hour clock's cycle.

"So...9:00 right?"

"Yes."

She scratched her head thoughtfully, "At the risk of sounding like an idiot, they do realize that it's already 9:00, right?"

He laughed at her in response and shook his head as he chuckled. "Yeah, they know. They're just using the time as a guideline to work towards. They'll probably be ready to leave very soon."

Caroline nodded her understanding, wrapping her arms around herself to fight off the slight chill that the breeze was causing. Shuffling on her feet, she tried to adjust the army greens she still wore; subtly trying to pick out the God-awful wedgie the pants were giving her.

Trying to hide his amusement at her antics, Graham instead chose to comment on the overall appearance, "Suits you dressed like that, you know. Ever consider joining N.E.S.T as an operative?"

She snorted in response, "Hell no; my mad skills would just make you all jealous." She grinned, elbowing him in the arm; to which Graham chuckled good-naturedly at her humor before she continued.

"No but seriously...I haven't got the heart for a soldier; I suck at video games that involve guns." She laughed at herself as she watched Lennox and Epps addressing one of the flight coordinators who was coming down the steps at the side of the plane.

Footsteps were coming from the other side of Graham, and when she turned; she saw that it was Galloway.

The two glared at one another before she felt the Englishman's hand on the small of her back as he pushed her forward; placing himself subtly between her and the Director before he addressed the man.

"Sir."

Luckily Galloway then chose to ignore Tessa; instead standing with his arms crossed and a perplexed look on his face as he watched the scene outside unfolding.

Epps looked bothered by something, and was talking rather intensely to Lennox; who looked skeptically hopeful as he tried to reassure his friend about something.

They eventually came to some sort of agreement and headed over to the group of soldiers who were ready to board the crafts. After discussing something important.

Will signaled over to Graham and Carolina before giving his comrades one last word and a thumbs up. Was it just her, or had he pointed at her briefly during his mission briefing?

"All right; time to go, little missy," Graham said shortly, drawing her out of her suspicions. He placed a hand on her shoulder and guided her over to where the others were gathered.

"So what's happening? Are we ready to leave?" she asked curiously; looking up at Lennox with an almost child-like expression.

He gave her a nod and gestured towards one of the crafts. "You'll be on the C-17 with Epps, Graham and I-"
"-But what about-"