𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

All that surrounded me was darkness in my dream.

I was standing all alone in the center of a thick, dark forest. Towering pine trees were on either side of me, crisp leaves covered the ground that crunched beneath my feet, and the only form of light was the full white moon above the woods in the pitch-black sky.

Though the moon made it more apparent how dark it actually was, something glistening caught my eye far beneath the forest.

It was Alice, standing in full stillness between the trees in front of me. Her snow-white skin sparkled like diamonds underneath the moonlight and was the only thing I could see of her amidst the bleakness besides her bright golden eyes.

The blackness of the night blended in with her cropped ebony hair and the dark garments she wore, which made her gleaming pale skin brighter in contrast.

"Alice?" I called out.

My legs and feet began to move forward and walk faster in an attempt to reach her.

However, the branches on the trees around me began to move. They stretched far out like arms, as the dark leaves that hung from them all broke off from a large gust of wind, and swirled around me.

I tried to keep my eyes on Alice as everything around me attempted to keep me from going any closer to her, and in an effort to keep going after her through the long branches and whirling leaves, she began running.

Her speed was at a regular speed, such as a human, though she ran faster than I could keep up with, as I cried out for her to wait.

She kept dashing away, as I ran through the forest after her, ducking my head down under every tree branch, and hopping over tree stumps and any other obstacles that were meant to slow me down.

Before I could reach her, or comprehend that it was a dream — or rather a nightmare — I ran into a long tree branch that seemed to appear out of nowhere in my route, knocking the air out of me as I fell to the ground.

I laid on the cold hard ground, motionless, before I felt my eyes close from the blow, and my eyes darted open as I awoke in my room.

I sat up out of bed, gasping for air as I looked around my room, realizing it was only a nightmare I was trapped in, and nothing more.

Despite feeling relieved to be out of such a bleak, dreadful nightmare, I found myself missing her again.

Why did she run away from me? Why didn't she come back for me when I was hit by that branch? How could she not care enough to come back for me?

All these questions spun in my brain, making me question if that nightmare was trying to tell me something — that Alice no longer had a care in the world for me.