𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

I managed to calm my nerves enough before we finally arrived back home and rushed into the house with Bella close behind me.

Immediately upon entering the front door, I saw Charlie sitting at the kitchen table, and next to him was his friend Harry Clearwater.

I wasn't able to mask the clear anxiety I had from what I had just witnessed and could tell Charlie sensed that the moment I hastily swung open the door and ran into the kitchen, ready to tell him of what we saw.

"Scarlett, Bella," Charlie said. "What's wrong?"

"Dad, we saw them!" Bella exclaimed. "Out in the woods — they're not bears!"

"What do you mean in the woods?" His voice became stern. "Damn it, I told you girls to stay out of the woods."

"It wasn't my idea," I uttered hastily, prompting Bella to shoot me a quick warning glance.

"Listen, Dad, they're wolves!" Bella continued. "Huge wolves!"

"Are you sure about that Bella?" Harry questioned skeptically, raising one brow.

"Yeah, we just saw them!" Bella insisted. "They were after... something."

"Yeah, and we weren't sure if it was another animal or what they were going after," I added nervously. "That's when we ran out of the woods."

"And you girls are sure that it was wolves that you saw?" Charlie demanded calmly. "Not bears?"

"Yes, we swear they weren't bears." I insisted as Bella nodded with me.

Charlie gave us one final look, before sighing.

"Alright then," Charlie nodded once, before turning to Harry. "Well, Harry, do you feel like going hunting? Maybe you could get some of the guys from the rez to join us."

Harry looked at Charlie at first with hesitance, his expression appeared oddly worried — presumably over the fact that it was wolves they would be dealing with now — before quickly nodding.

"Sure, yeah," he exhaled. "I'll just—"

Without saying more, he gestured with his thumb as he slowly backed out of the kitchen, seemingly to go call whoever could join in on the wolf hunt.

However, I suspected that the massive wolves that we saw were already dead by then — that Laurent was able to fight them off and defeat each one.

If that did happen, I feared he had already informed Victoria by now that he ran into us in the meadow and that we were indeed unprotected — meaning she could come after us with no trouble.

On top of that, if she did come after us, Charlie would try to protect us — he would for sure die putting up a fight against her to keep us safe.

I lightly gasped upon that realization, as I noticed Charlie begin to stand up from the kitchen table.