Someone Uninvited

I sat down. " Did Mom, make you that angry?" I asked. " No, I was more hurt than ever that Amanda thought I was stealing. There was a guy on my team who got angry and left the team. His name was Brian Goullison." Could Brian be the guy I was looking for? No, they said everyone on the team was questioned and there is no way that any of them could have been around during the time the murder. I looked closely at my Uncle who seemed so peculiar to me. He was young, sophisticated but at the same time silly. He seem like he had a side to him that he didn't share very much and didn't intend to share with me.

"Uncle Ryder, you don't think any of this had to do with Mom being murdered, do you?"
"No I don't think so, I need to get a few bags from my car I'll be a moment." Uncle Ryder said. He was gone a few minutes and then came back with some luggage wet from the rain. " We have a guest bedroom, third door to your left passed the bathroom and there are towels there." I said.
"Thank you, Ryan" he said.

He walked into the bathroom and grabbed a green towel to dry himself off from the rain. Then he dropped his luggage in the guest room and shut the door. I walked upstairs, shut my door and laid in my bed with earphones in. I fell asleep until thunder shook the house and woke me. I looked at the time 10:36 p.m. I opened my door and walked to my dad's room and he wasn't there. Sometimes I felt like my dad needed to get away from me for awhile to keep himself from stressing so much about it. I went downstairs and knocked on Uncle Ryder's door. He opened the door just a little. "Ryan" he smiled. "Hey, have you seen or heard from my dad?" I asked
"Well he told me not to wake you but he said he was going to spend some more time out with Mariann."
I looked down and started to walk away. "Is that your father's girlfriend?" He asked. "I hope not."
" Hey how about in the morning I take you out for breakfast? Sound good?"
"Great." I said. I went out to the living room and laid down on the couch. I turned on the television to my favorite cartoon, Dog Bite and called Piper. No answer so I texted her: "Hey, I hope earlier this morning did not freak you out but anyway home with my uncle I never knew I had."

I laid there on the couch until I fell back asleep. I was having the nightmare again, but this time the sound was drained and I was just watching my mom die silently. I screamed and when I opened my eyes, Uncle Ryder was right there so I continued to scream until I stopped and noticed I was awake. " Ryan, I heard screaming and came to see what was going on, are you okay?" He asked. "I'm fine I just get these nightmares sometimes." I said. " Well if you ever need to talk please feel free to bother me." He got up and walked into the kitchen poured a glass of water and brought it to me. "Thank you." I said.

After drinking the water I felt too embarrassed to sleep downstairs just in case I scream again so I went up to my room saying goodnight to Uncle Ryder. He was really nice to me, I wonder why he was getting so close. Maybe he just felt like he didn't get to know me. I slept peacefully thinking about it and woke up around 7. When I went downstairs Uncle Ryder was already dressed in jeans and a graphic tee. His hair still seem wet from his shower and he was on the couch watching the news. "Good morning." I said. "Good morning, we will leave for breakfast in an hour if that's okay." I nodded and then ran upstairs. On my way to the bathroom I walked passed my dads room and peeked in. Still empty. It was almost as if Dad moved out the way he was gone all the time. Piper had texted me: "I'm fine now, didn't know you had an uncle! Any plans?"
I replied: " We are going to have breakfast together and then maybe me and you can hang out, I'll let you know."
I hurried to shower and shampoo my hair. This time I decided to dress nice so I wore a skirt and nice blouse with flats. I wasn't very tall but I didn't want to overdo it for a breakfast. I went downstairs and Uncle Ryder stared at me. Was I already overdressed ? " You look wonderful." He smiled."Thank you." I said

We walked to his car and got in. He seemed like the little brother in the family. He grabbed the wheel tight and drove for awhile. The sky was pink from all the rain last night and it was cool and warm. We pulled up to a nice diner that looked fancy on the outside but kind of rowdy on the inside. It was almost empty except for an old couple and a small family mainly younger kids. A waitress with short blonde hair in curls, a white blank tee and black dressy pants walked up to us. "Hello, welcome to Dan's Diner. My name is Natalie I'll be your server for today, only for two?" She said. "Yes." Uncle Ryder said.

She grabbed two menus and directed us to a table with two chairs. She put down the menus."I'll give you time to look over the menu." She smiled. I sat down and carefully studied the menu, everything came with bacon. The waitress came back and I ordered chocolate chip pancakes and bacon while Ryder ordered a bagel with scrambled eggs. " So, when do you go back to school?" Uncle Ryder asked.
"I go back in September."
"Oh, you still have another 3 weeks that's fine, I won't be around long."
"It's okay, the house is usually empty anyway."

After small talk we ate our breakfast and made our way outside. We drove silently back to the house and made our way in. The door was already open as if someone had been inside. Uncle Ryder and I looked at each other as we softly went inside. There was nobody here, not even Dad. Uncle Ryder went and walked around the house while I waited inside by the front door. "There's nobody here." he said. Good I thought. I slipped off my shoes and went to my laptop at the kitchen table. Someone must have been on it because my history was completely erased and when I looked over the ring I found was gone.