𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘦

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

THE PROLOGUE: BIRD BATH

*°:⋆ₓₒ
      ⇢ When I step out of the water the goosebumps quickly cover my skin, making the one smooth surface bumpy to the touch. I extend a hand blindly seeking the warmth of my towel but instead meeting the hand of someone who I can only assume to be Liam. My best friend since childhood. "Liam, can you be a doll and pass me my towel?" I asked, trying to not rub too harshly on my eyes that are now flooded with salty water.

I feel the towel enter my grasp as I smile and let him assist in wiping my eyes and covering my exposed frame in the towel. "Thank you" I laugh. "What brings you out here anyways (nickname)?" He smirks, his arm crossed against his fit chest as he raises a brow. I sit crisscross on the small blanket made of wool. Not ideal for water but the best I had. "Just trying to clear my head before the reapin, I suggest you do the same" i begin to dry my hair with the towel aggressively, not breaking eye contact.

"Pft-" Liam begins to laugh. "I'm not scared of the reaping, you know this." He scoffed. I hummed quietly. "Awww well bless your heart. As far as my two perfectly good seeing eyes can tell you're shaking like a leaf and sweatin like a sinner in church. You really gon' lie to me now Liam?" I raise a brow and laugh as I straighten my posture and shake my hair out. He scoffs again. "Be careful, ma and pa won't be happy if you get home late (nickname)!"

   Liam mocks my country accent. I roll my eyes clearly offended and stomp away, he begins to try to catch up to me but I go faster, now given up he decides to part ways with me. Perhaps it's for the best since the next time we see each other will be at the reaping, dressed our Sunday's best with our siblings. Afterwards we hold a celebration of our safety. And we pray for another year of peace.

*°:⋆ₓₒ

   I arrive home pretty quickly, opening the door trying not to make a noise and trigger the ratty animal that my brother insisted on keeping. A large dog that I've told him was better off as our next meal multiple times. Every-time he'd lecture me how covey stick together. That dog wasn't my family but I gave in for Jeremy's sake. He was blind in one eye and covered in scars, also quite the aggressor. A real eye sore but not to my gentle brother.

   Jeremy had just turned 12, it was his first year in the reaping. The odds were in his favor since I'd always been the one to get food for the both of us. Same goes for Liam's sisters. I frowned at the thought but Jeremy flinging his small frame into my arms pulled me out of my grim thoughts. "Hey buddy!" I laughed. "Where's Pa?" I asked, kneeling down to his height. He shrugged. Jeremy was never a big talker unless it was to animals or to himself.

   Bothered Pa a lot but not me. I told him choosing his words and who to spend his breath on was wise and made him leagues ahead of his classmates. "It's alright, I'm sure he'll catch up" I straightened his colorful jacket that Ma had made him before she passed. "You Look dashing" I smiled and hugged him again before getting our things to leave. As far as my outfit went I was dressed as colorful as usual, after bathing in the River I was pretty much already dressed and ready to go. Pa must've dressed Jeremy.

   "Let's go" Jeremy walks out quietly, me following behind him. He clutched my arm tightly in fear. I placed my hand on his head. "It's your first year honey, they're not gonna get you, they're gonna have to go through me first" I joked. He laughed a bit and rested his head on my shoulder until we arrived. We stood in line calmly until he noticed the needle, running over to me in a panic. "It's okay, it doesn't hurt, just this much, it'll be over before you know it I promise" I ruffled his hair and pat him on the back.

   He hesitantly left my side as we both went through the needle process and stood, waiting for the announcer to call out this year's tributes. It wasn't very long until an older man went on stage. The usual process followed. "War terrible war" Liam mouthed, snickering a bit dramatically. I choked back a laugh and watched. "And now for this year's tributes from district 12. Let's switch it up, boys first."

   The man reached his hand into a bowl of names and unfolded a paper. 'Jeremy (last name)'

A/N: Hello! I Hope you enjoyed this chapter, first things first. English is NOT my first language so I'm unsure of my grammar. And second things I tried to make a lot of parallels to Katniss because I want this story to be tied to other x readers in the future, maybe Peeta...Cato? Or Finnick Odair (husband!!) so let me know which sounds best to you!! Anyways please enjoy the rest of this story!!