Vantablack

In a world overrun by the supernatural, Vantablack is a worldwide organization that combats paranormal threats such as deadly monsters, people exploiting unnatural powers, demonic possessions, and doomsday cults. Sixteen-year-old Rodney Crowell happens to work for Vantablack, having been taken in and trained after being kidnapped and subjected to cruel experiments years ago. After returning to his hometown of Nevermore, Rodney seeks to use his powers to protect those close to him and prevent others from experiencing the pain he endured.

Characters

Rodney Crowell: The main protagonist. As a child, Rodney was kidnapped by a group of criminals who experimented on children using supernatural essences. Said criminals injected him with nekomata blood, witch blood, and unicorn blood, making his body change both inside and out. After being rescued by Vantablack, Rodney was trained by Porter and traveled with him, mastering his abilities in six years. Rodney's powers allow him to control fire, control time for himself, heal others and himself, and capture monsters to transform them into weapons he can use. While he comes off as aloof and blunt, he is kind and caring to others, but the events from six years ago left him scarred figuratively and literally. Rodney owns two sentient weapons: a vampiric handgun named Elias and a spider-like knife named Jane.

Porter Cruz: A Vantablack hunter who rescued and trained Rodney. During Rodney's apprenticeship, Porter acted as his guardian and showed him the ropes of hunting. He possesses magic, being able to cast illusion spells, summon guns, and communicate with the spirits of the dead. While Porter is perceptive and takes his job seriously, he is laid-back and doting on his peers, especially towards Rodney, whom he grew to love like a little brother.

Zarina: A legendary and powerful witch who helped train Rodney with his magic. Zarina has ties with Porter and loves to travel around the world, helping other Vantablack hunters along the way. Her abilities allow her to transform into animals, control time, and capture other monsters to turn them into weapons, two of which she taught Rodney. Zarina owns an entire arsenal of monster-turned-weapons, her favorite being a dragon she turned into a battle ax. A nonchalant and adventurous individual who loves trying new things, she puts on a smug demeanor in combat situations but becomes serious when the fight escalates.

Rosemary Everett: A hunter who works at Vantablack's Nevermore branch. Rosemary doesn't have magical powers, but she is a skilled archer. Her constant companion is a sentient flying cloth she nicknames Cotton, which she wears around her waist.

Han Mochizuki: A young hunter who works at Vantablack's Nevermore branch. Han comes from an esteemed Japanese-American family who has ties with Vantablack. He owns a katana and can control ice, which is the Mochizuki bloodline ability.

Cory McShane: A young hunter who works at Vantablack's Nevermore branch. Cory joined Vantablack despite his mother's misgivings. He owns a magical gun and can craft his own ammo using magic, and said ammo has elemental properties.

Janner T. Desmond: The only vampire who works at Vantablack's Nevermore branch and Cory's boyfriend. Janner is a kind-hearted individual who gives the group medical attention. On Cory's suggestion, he owns a dagger with a blade made of crystal to use for self-defense.

Preview

Rodney sat in his seat as he looked out the window. For the first time in his life, he was finally returning home after six years of traveling around the world. These six years have been a journey for him, and it was safe for him to believe that he would go on new adventures as a Vantablack hunter. It was something Rodney never planned to do when he grew up, but he was quick to acknowledge that this was his life now. No one, not even his family, would have predicted that the quiet but kind-hearted Rodney Crowell would fight supernatural threats.

Speaking of supernatural threats, everyone gasped and yelped when they felt something hit the top of the plane. Rodney looked up and he knew that the plane was under attack by an aerial beast.