Christmas Stories

Mattheo Riddle

Christmas had never had any special meaning for Mattheo. Of course, he knew about the principle of Christmas and how it was celebrated, but he had never had much to do with it and therefore had no particular interest in it. He even found it rather unnecessary, kitschy and stupid.

Of course, with the dark lord for a father and an equally dark, evil witch for a mother, there wasn't much to celebrate - especially not something that was declared to be a festival of love.

Mattheo had always spent Christmas at Hogwarts since he was there. For him, it had always been a day like any other, and he had never understood the excitement of the others, but all in all, he just didn't care, to be quite honest.

You were different. You loved Christmas and everything to do with it. You liked the decorations, the music, the atmosphere, the Christmas markets.

You were often excited months in advance, and the closer it got, the worse it got.

That could be the reason that you and Mattheo Riddle didn't get on particularly well, or maybe because your personalities were just too different in general.

But there were things that you and Mattheo shared - you were in the same year, the same classes, and shared the same circle of friends, which meant that you were always clashing.

Mattheo secretly thought you were very beautiful and hot, but that didn't change the fact that you really got on his nerves. At least that's what he told himself from year one. Again, and again.

It was no different with you - Mattheo was attractive, but an asshole. Ideally, you wouldn't have anything to do with him, it would be best if he was just in a different group of friends, or even better, at a different school. At least that's what you kept telling yourself.

Anyway, that evening it was just before Christmas, you were all sitting in the Slytherin common room. None of your group of friends had gone home for Christmas, and now you were a little bored.

You were thinking about what you could do to fight the boredom, and finally it was Draco Malfoy who said you could have a party with all the students who hadn't gone home.

You loved the idea. You sat up straight and your eyes lit up. "Oh yes, that's a great idea! We'll just have our own Christmas party!"

Most people agreed with the idea, but of course it was Mattheo who complained again. It was unclear whether he was doing it because it was Christmas or because it was your idea. Probably both.

"What a shitty idea. Maybe it is Christmas. But that doesn't mean we have to use it as a theme for everything we do." He let out, annoyed, before leaning back and stealing the cigarette from Theodore's hand and taking a drag.

"How good that nobody cares about your opinion." you returned bitingly.

As most people were in favor of your suggestion to make the party Christmassy, this was also put into practice.

The common room was decorated accordingly. Christmas-themed snacks were on offer and there were even Christmas-style cocktails. It was a dream of a party for you - but a nightmare for Mattheo.

You danced, had fun and drank, while Mattheo spent most of the time standing at the bar and drinking as much as he could. The only problem was that he never got drunk quickly.

The next time you went to the bar to get yourself a new cocktail, you were suddenly pulled to the side and shortly afterwards felt your back against a wall.

"You always have to ruin everything, huh?" Mattheo spat; his face close to yours. You immediately noticed from his breath that he must have had a lot to drink, even if his behavior didn't look like it yet. After all, he was always an asshole.