Chapter Thirteen: Nothing Happens, But Everything Changes

Playlist Part Thirteen:

The Three Judges - Ron Fish

The House of Hades - Darren Korb

Water of Life - Hans Zimmer

~*~

It was several days later that Kronos once again accomplished what was previously thought to be impossible.

Percy'd watched on, staring down from one of the balconies off their chambers, as Kronos had held out his hands, and, with his eyes blazing gold, re-anchored The Doors of Death to Mount Othrys. The chains sprung out from both sides of the doors, latching to the rocky cliff face below them, their holds worming their way deep into the earth. In the daylight, the doors were beautiful- intricately carved sheets of metal, lined with hymns to Tartarus and studded with gems, entirely different to what they'd looked like in the pit and in the House of Hades.

It shouldn't've been possible, though, regardless of how powerful Kronos was. Othrys was humming with both intrigue and trepidation, Titans and the other deities alike swapping theories for how Kronos was working impossible magic.

"He must've sold his soul," Iapetus had lamented to Percy, angrily spearing a piece of spanakopita with his fork.

They were in the mess hall, sitting across from each other at one of the long wooden tables filling the room. Weirdly enough, the two had started to warm up to each other, although Percy couldn't find it in himself to be surprised. Nothing fazed him anymore.

After swallowing his mouthful of gyro, Percy smirked. "What soul? And who would even buy it?"

Iapetus rolled his eyes, before casting his gaze over to the doors, his shoulders drooping slightly. "Speak of the devil..."

Jerking his head back to look over his shoulder, Percy lidded his eyes as the Titan King approached them, plopping down next to Percy with a sleepy look on his face. He yawned, before swiping one of the olives off Percy's plate, chewing it subduedly.

Percy made a noise of protest when Kronos reached over to take another olive, shielding his plate with his hands. "The plates are literally magic," he griped. "Quit stealing my food."

"Where's the fun in that?" Kronos grumbled, but pulled one of the plates toward him nonetheless. "Choriatiki," he instructed the ceramic, making a pleased hum when a salad appeared before him.

Percy watched on in stupefaction from beside him. "Eternal youth, and you still eat salad." Shaking his head, he took another big bite from his gyro. "Unbelievable."

"I like the flavors," Kronos snipped, picking up his fork and considering his plate. He yawned again, and Iapetus grunted in annoyance.

"Just go to bed, Kronos. Chaos knows you need the sleep."

Blinking tiredly, the Titan King nibbled halfheartedly at a slice of tomato. "I'm fine. Now stop talking about it."

Iapetus looked like he wanted to complain, but the look Kronos shot him was enough to shut him up. Muttering under his breath, he vengefully cut another piece of his pie with more force than was really required to tear through filo dough.

Percy watched the interaction with lidded eyes. "Come to think of it," he said conversationally, ignoring the glower Kronos shot him. "You've been weirdly tired since that whole Doors of Death thing."

"I have not," Kronos gritted out. "Now, both of you, quiet. The topic is closed."

Percy set his lips in a thin line, before shrugging and turning back to his nearly-finished gyro. Even if Kronos didn't want to admit it, Percy knew what was happening. That new... Power Kronos had unlocked must've used up a lot of energy. Gritting his teeth, Percy glared down at his plate. If only he wasn't bound by that stupid oath. Now would be the perfect time to kill Kronos once and for all. If he was weakened as much as he seemed, what with how tired he'd been lately, and with how much extra energy he must've used to kill Thanatos... The stage was set, and all Percy would've needed was to sharpen Riptide and pray to Tyche.