Chapter Eighteen: Romance is Dead and Kronos Killed It

Playlist Part Eighteen:

Cry - Benson Boone

Shape of Lies - Eternal Eclipse

~*~

Percy flashed back to Othrys the next morning. He hadn't even gone to breakfast or anything- he just woke up, took a shower, changed into a chiton, and left.

It was three in the morning when he materialized in the foyer. Torches lit up the giant room at even increments, their flames casting warm orangish light down on the demigod-turned-Titan. Everybody, as far as he could tell, was fast asleep.

Slowly, Percy drifted down the hallway, running his hand on the stucco-covered walls as he passed by the throne room and the dining room, making his way to the private chambers on the far side of the palace.

The air seemed to grow colder as he approached his and Kronos' room, tension crackling through the atmosphere and sending nervous shudders down Percy's spine. It was too quiet, too still, like the whole of Othrys was holding its breath, waiting for something to- to-

Explode.

Rounding the last corner, Percy stood for a beat at the mouth of the hallway, his eyes firmly latched onto the giant ornate wooden doors at the far end. Behind them, in that room, was Kronos. Percy didn't even need to open the door to know for sure; the Titan King's aura was so strong it was almost a tangible thing. It seemed even more oppressive than before, and with a jolt Percy realized that it felt nearly as intense as Pontus', a Primordial's.

Percy wavered for another moment, fear ebbing at the back of his throat, before gnashing his teeth together and striding forward, flicking his wrist to open the doors as he approached.

They parted for him silently, a blast of cold air shuddering past him, and, before Percy could think better of it, he stepped into the room. It was dark and entirely quiet, aside from the low crackle of embers shifting in the fireplace. Hesitantly, Percy took a few paces further into the chambers, flinching slightly as the doors swept shut behind him with a resounding thud.

After a beat, once his eyes had adjusted to the darkness, Percy noted that the bed's sheets were rumpled, and, beyond that, the balcony door was open, cold early-morning air wafting into the room. He could sense Kronos out there, standing just out of sight, waiting like he had no doubts that Percy would join him.

Wondering when he had become so fucking predictable, the demigod-turned-Titan made his way across the room, toying with his necklace as he stepped outside. He kept his gaze firmly on San Francisco's skyline in the distance, but out of the corner of his eye he could still see the Titan King leaned up against the metal railing cloaked in shadows, his gold eyes shining like spotlights and leaving splotches in his vision.

Percy watched quietly as Kronos pushed himself away from the handrails, taking a few slow, purposeful steps toward the other. Percy's throat worked, and he dry-swallowed, reaching forward and gripping the railing tightly in his hands.

Kronos stopped a respectable distance away, and turned so he too was facing the skyline. "I see Iapetus relaid my message."

"Yeah," Percy replied, his voice thick and husky. "He did."

It was silent for a beat, before Kronos took another step forward, his arms tucked pleasently behind his back. "Welcome home," he offered, his voice soft.

Percy stared back, warily meeting the Titan King's gaze. Kronos' gold eyes bored into him, waiting for an answer. Home. When had he started to think of Othrys like that? When had that title been wrenched away from Camp Half-Blood, or his mom and Paul's apartment, or any other place that used to make him feel warm and happy and safe?