S E V E N T E E N

Alexa

I was having so much fun with Veronica. We went clothes shopping and we ate at the food court, but then things started going—well, I don't want to say bad, exactly. You'll see.

Veronica and I were walking, each older two bags in our arms, talking and giggling to each other. I'm glad that I got to spend time with her.

Then Veronica stopped walking, her eyes widening. I looked at her in alarm. "Veronica, are you okay?" I asked her.

Veronica fell over, dropping the bags. "I-I-I think my water just broke!"

"What?!"

"Quick, call an ambulance!"

***

Andrew

I went to Zach's bedroom to grab something, but I forgot what it was he had told me to grab, so I was heading back to where everyone else was, when I heard them talking, so I stopped in the kitchen and decided to eavesdrop.

"Listen, Bob," Zach was saying, "you better not fucking touch Alexa again. Me and Cameron are nineteen and eighteen — adults — and taller and stronger than your weak ass."

"Yeah," Cameron agreed, his voice dark which wasn't like him at all, "we will beat the fuck out of you, I swear to god."

"The only reason why we're being civil, is because Andrew isn't aware of shit," Zach said.

What the hell are they talking about? I swallowed, still listening in.

"That's right," one of the twins said. I'd be able to tell which one was talking if I could see them, but I'm unable to decipher between their identical voices like I can their identical faces. "We see one more bruise on Alexa's body—"

"We'll do twice the damage," the other twin finished.

"Boys—" Dad said with a sigh. "How I raise my daughter is none of your business."

"You're abusing our fucking sister!" Ryder says. "That is our business."

I swallowed again. No way...

"Ryder, you're still a child, mind your own business," Dad said. "Listen, boys, when you have children of your own, you'll understand."

I heard a smack and I winced, wondering which of my brothers just slapped him.

Then I heard another smack.

"Don't touch him, you piece of shit!" Cameron said (I would later find out that Zach had slapped Dad but Dad slapped Ryder because he was the smallest).

But for now, I know that Dad had abused my fucking sister, and he just hit one of my brothers.

I saw red.

I opened the door and ran toward them.

"Andy—" Dad said.

But I kicked him in the balls, causing him to fall to the floor. And then I started repeatedly punching the shit out of him, not giving him the chance to talk or to get back up. I was furious.

I was faintly aware of my brothers trying to pry me off of Dad, but I wanted him to hurt. Even when he was bleeding, I didn't stop, until Zach literally picked me up. I was thrashing, trying to get more punches and kicks in.

Dad lied, bloody on the floor and I laughed. I laughed. Zach didn't put me down, but I didn't care. How could Dad abuse his daughter? And why didn't anyone ducking tell me? Here I was, loving him... when he was a fucking monster. I hated him. I hated him with every fiber of my being.

I wanted him dead. I wanted him dead...

All the anger faded. I was so violent, so murderous. Was that in my nature?

I started crying and Zach hugged me tightly. It was weird. We weren't close when I first got here, and no one really tried. But now he brings me so much comfort.

"Andrew, it's okay," Zach tells me. "You did what all of us wanted to do for awhile. If I put you down, you'll be calm?"

I nodded, not trusting my voice to not shake if I speak.

Zach sat me down on the ground and I sighed, staring at my dad. He wasn't unconscious, but he was staring off into space as he bled, breathing heavily.

If I went any further, I think I would have killed him. I would have been a murderer. I would have been a murderer.

If Zach hadn't stopped me...

That thought made me sick.

"Wow," Ryder says. "You did a number on him."

Dad is abusive.

And I beat him all bloody.

Do I have the possibility to be just like my dad? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree... is that the saying?

Like father, like son. Why weren't any of my brothers looking at me with the same look of disgust they were giving my dad?

"Stand up, you old geezer," Justin tells him with a laugh.

"Yeah, walk it off," Jason tells me him.

"I would help you but I'm just a kid," Ryder mocked.

Cameron glances at me. You okay? He mouthed. I was grateful he didn't say it out loud. Only and he Zach — the two oldest, of course — we're paying attention. I nodded, though Zach and Cameron didn't seem to believe me.

Dad wobbled to his feet, having difficult and using his hands. Blood dripped down his face. Blood that I caused. Me and my brothers just watched as he struggled.

I didn't exactly feel too bad, just... maybe I went overboard. I almost killed him. He may be a piece of shit but... then I would have became a murderer...

Dad shot me a venomous glare. Zach and Cameron both stepped in front of me, which didn't make sense. Do they not see the damage that I had caused? I don't think that I need protection.

"I wish you had died," Dad spat at me, and Justin hit him.

Dad began coughing.

"You're all bloody, stop saying stupid shit," Cameron said.

Before Dad or anyone else could say anything, Dad's phone rang. As he glared at us, he picked up his phone. "Veronica?" he started, his voice scratchy. "What?! You're in labor right now?"

Me and my brothers exchanged looks of surprise.

What?!