Day Three

Day Three.

"Rody you're here early." Vince said raising his eyebrows after coming out of a door that was behind a previously locked door.

Shit! He'd be so angry if he found out I fell asleep here,

"Yeah! I was worried it was going to rain again" I laughed ignoring the cloudless and sunny sky outside.

"sure." Vince replied before starting to clean the kitchen.

"Do you need some help Vince?"

"Chef. And yes grab a cloth and wipe down the benches." He commanded while spraying lemon scented cleaning spray across the bench.

"So why do you like lemons, they're sour and burn your tongue."

"That's why I like them."

"They burn your tongue..?"

"Yeah, I can't taste anything."

"What?!!" This revelation about his life was revealed too suddenly, "How do you know if your food tastes good?"

He shrugged as I wiped down the benches he sprayed.

"Can you hea-"

"Rody."

"Sorry I was just checking!" I chuckled nervously as he rolled his eyes.

"You're a pretty attractive guy, you seeing anyone?" I asked trying to break the awkward silence,

"Not really." Vince shrugged, walking off "The chefs will be coming in soon," he said walking into his office and before long smoke trailed from underneath the door, gross.

The trash was overflowing so I took it out to see a starved rat nibbling on the plastic of a garbage bag.

"Oh buddy, no!" I swiftly grabbed the rat and snuck it inside, rats like cheese right? Or is that mouse or mice whatever it's the same thing.

I stole a piece of cheese hidden at the back of the fridge in the kitchen, just as chefs flooded in.

I ran off to the bathroom and ran warm water in the sink giving it a wash before feeding him the cheese.

"There you go.. what about a name, Cheddar is cute, yeah. Hi Cheddar!" I laughed softly as he ate the cheese and looked up at me as if thanking me, before I knew it Vince charged into the bathroom.

"What the fuck are you doing, i swear to god if you were m-"

"WHAT! I was not! Do you really think I'm like that?!" I grumbled hiding Cheddar but alas he ran off behind me and I prayed Vince didn't see it.

His eyes trailed down before glaring at me,

"It's something you'd do." He walked off his dark hair swishing as he walked promptly, he always walks as if he has somewhere to go it's kind of cute.

I frantically searched the bathroom but Cheddar had ran off, I pray to the gods if Vince finds him he'll be humane.

A group of three old ladies walked through the door chattering among themselves,

"Why hello there young ladies! Table for three?" I smiled warmly,

"Oh you charmer! Yes please." They laughed sweetly and followed me as I took them to a table.

"You're a fine young man, do you have a girlfriend?"

"Ooh~ Agatha don't pry!"

"Please Priscilla I'm just being nice." They squabbled like children.

"I have a girlfriend, but we're taking a.. break right now." Comically a drop of sweat fell down my forehead as the ladies looked among themselves and exchanged looks.

"Honey I'm sure you'll find a better girl! Keep your head high."

"Gretta!"

They laughed as I walked off into the kitchen,

"I heard everything Rody."

"Don't with me right now Vince."

I rested my head against the wall as the twinkle of the bell rung throughout the restaurant as more people entered, hesitantly I went back out to serve more problematic people.

I slowly trudged into my apartment, almost passing out as I flopped onto the couch.

Manon please pick up, I picked up the phone and dialed her number, three rings before the click.

"M-Manon!?"

"Rody..." her voice echoed in my ear with pity,

"Manon, can we atleast talk? Please." Suddenly all my tiredness disappeared and I heard her sigh.

"Okay, tomorrow morning, I'll see you at the cafe we met at, 7." Her soft voice trailed off as the line disconnected.

Her voice was soft and sweet, she was always kind, even when she didn't need to, or when someone was mean to her she still was very kind.

She was always too good for me, I know the only reason she did date me was because she pitied me.

These nightmarish thoughts consumed me as I drifted off to sleep.

A masculine grip grabbed my hand and pulled me into a hug as tears streamed down onto their back,

Why was I crying..?

As I looked up from their shoulder, tears blurring my vision, I saw her, happy and smiling, alone as she sat on a swing surrounded by flowers and sunshine. She waved me goodbye as the stranger whisked me away.

Authors Note: Shortest part yet sorry! But the next is the longest one I've written so far, forgive me!