Day Six

Day 6.

As I arose from the best sleep of my life, an hour before my alarm clock was set to go off, yet I was less tired than normal, probably due to sleeping in a proper bed without black mold probably infecting me with cancer or something I don't know, I'm no doctor.

I got dressed and tied my apron around my waist and rushed out to the kitchen to grab myself some stale cereal. As I creaked open the cupboard door, it was filled to the brim with food, stuff that I didn't buy! Another note with the same gorgeous cursive in red sat neatly on top of some homemade strawberry jam (jelly for you Americans), 'Did I mention one of my oldest friend, both literally and figuratively, owns a grocery store and when I was telling her about you she kindly spared some food, there's more in the fridge including coupons, also my homemade jams, spreads and sauces, you'll also find my recipe book in your bookcase, as well as the most delectable lemon tart recipe hidden, somewhere, lot's of love, Egrid'

As my heart melted as I read the note the thought crossed my mind that maybe the shop Egrid's friend owns is the one I went to yesterday, nonetheless I shake that off and grab some freshly made bread, toast it and lather on some blueberry jam.

As I shoved the toast down my throat I got on my bike and made my way to the restaurant, as I left my dreary building the rays of the morning sun instantly hit my skin, we're moving into Summer and the days are getting warmer, and my life is getting brighter.

My bike skirted sharply around a corner as an angry business man was shouting about getting fired, it rang a thought in my head, a gloomy reminder, I have two days left.

Despite the fact I'm excited to start a new chapter with my newfound knowledge and maybe finally open my food truck... after I save a bit more, it feels, kind of.. I don't know.

As I crossed the road to the restaurant I felt my eyes burning a bit.

I charged through the door and saw Vince inspecting a wall, I slowly walked over to him, and I as I started to peer over his shoulder her jumped.

"Rody!" he yelled as he revealed... Cheddar chewing on a piece of cheese.

"Cheddar!?"

"..Cheddar..?" Vince questioned as I scooped up the mouse and laid him on my shoulder, "Rody a, RODENT, is on your shoulder, no wonder your name is similar to it, it's like you have a twin, dirty, small-"

"I'm taller than you?!!?"

"Did I hit a sensitive spot..?"

I glared at him as he swiftly turned away, his ears slightly red, He must've been drinking again, yeah, disgraceful.

The bells chimed and people started falling in, I quickly hid Cheddar in my apron pocket and started serving people.

Per usual people did occasionally glare at me, maybe it's my messy hair or stained shirt, but I don't think it's that bad.

As my break came and a newbie chef took over my serving for twenty minutes, I went to go sit down outside and eat my lunch near the dumpsters, to see, and what a shocker, Vincent smoking.

"You're disgusting."

"I'm still your boss." He rolled his eyes, blowing smoke in my face, "By the way, would you care to attend a dinner party tonight, at my place, It's straight after work, you can just go in your uniform."

"Huh..?"

"I'll take that as a yes, since you're not bothering staying home i'm assuming you'll help me pack up the restaurant, thanks." Vince nodded before heading back inside before I could say anything.

"Wait I didn't agree?!" I called out jumping up cartoonishly, fuck! I can't believe I got myself into it.

My break ends, not soon enough and I sneak a glare at Vincent before returning to my shift, surprisingly for such a nice day, it's quiet and slow, the day ends.

"My knees hurt." I grumble as I sit down on a chair and the chefs leave.

"Congratulations, want an award?" Vincent says sarcastically patting me on the shoulder, as he touches me, I feel my body tingle in surprise, his fingers are soft, and warm, unlike his personality.

"You know I didn't agree to help, right?" I say with a slight bitterness, instead of replying, his constant glare softens, just the tiniest bit, his eyebrows soften, just the tiniest bit, he shows some emotion, just the tiniest bit. "But lucky for you, I'm the most flexible guy in town." I add on, feeling slightly bad, a chuckle, at least I think follows through and he looks at me, his dark eyes, with the longest lashes, like a girl, his pale, soft, skin, his combed through hair, silky, but wet at the scalp, gross sweat.

"Go upstairs, I'll pack up" He says, almost apologetically,

"Nah, I'll help." I give a hopefully reassuring thumbs up and begin the stack chairs, sweep the floor, wipe tables, counters, clean the bathroom, take out the trash.

Every once in a while Vince would ask something like, 'Your work's nearly done here' or 'Do you have another job to go to afterwards?'

His tone was weird, it was like everything I thought I understood about him was completely wrong, he's a kind person really, I know he gave Cheddar cheese, he cares about his chefs, his customers, me...

"So what is this dinner party?"

"Oh yeah, serve food then you can go home."

"what." I dropped my broom, he wants me to work OVERTIME, for HIS party, and I'm not even getting PAID? I stumble up the stairs to his apartment behind him, as he opens the door it looks the same as before, clean, sleek, modern.

"You suck, SO MUCH."
"Yell at me after I've had a drink."

He instructs me about food and drinks in the kitchen and I should bring one out every hour and a half, in the order they're set out.

People begin to flood in, and I hand out finger foods, cocktails, prawns (shrimp for you Americans, it's bittersweet, one of the last if not the last time I insult your speech) classic posh people party shit.

The party goes on for hours and I feel myself drifting half to sleep, I think i did fall asleep in between handing out meals, the chatter amongst people and laughter slowly becoming white noise, as I keep handing out things, it fades, and fades, and fades, lights go out and a soft voice, it's so recognisable like the one in my dream, it asks if I'm okay, it then says sorry, and something touches my forehead, as I see the couch in the dark I stumble over and close my eyes, just for five seconds, then I'll go back to serving, I'll power through for him.

A warmth surrounds me as a soft cloud cushions my head and I feel a familiar vision coming.

"I'm sorry, you do so much, and I never repay you." the voice that's become so recognisable exclaims almost in tears, it grabs my hand, and I finally look up to see it, those lovely dark eyes, that I yearn to stare into forever.

(Author's note: Been a while, oopsies? I got really sick, then burnt out, then fainted a few times, then lied to my family and friends that I'm okay, but hey, as an apology I finally showed how much Rody has grown to love Vincent, anyway happy late Easter for those who celebrate, hope you're doing alright, I love reading through comments and having a smile see you!)