Chapter 35- Home

We boarded the flight back home the next morning and got to LA by evening. We were both too tired to discuss about the obvious so we headed home and got some much needed rest.

The next morning, it was all sorted out. I'd never been this happy to have gotten my period. I had no idea why I had been this late but it could have had something to do with all the stress from the constant traveling and not taking proper care of myself.

Alex called me before making the dreaded doctor's appointment but I told him that we didn't need to worry about it anymore and he was finally put at peace.

"God I'm so sorry for all stress I caused you over nothing." I said, letting out a big sigh of relief as I curled up in my bed.

"Stop it. It was an entirely rational reaction. And this could've very well ended up the other way around so don't blame yourself."

"Yeah, I mean... you're right."

"And besides, I think we handled it pretty well. Well, you most of all." He said.

"Oh please. I'd have lost my damn mind if it weren't for you."

"I know this has undoubtedly been the most stressful things we've faced but I feel like it has brought us closer together."
He said after going silent for a few seconds.

I agreed with him. I didn't know what I was getting into when I said yes to his idea a little over 4 months ago but I knew one thing for sure. Although it had caused a little damage to our platonic friendship here and there, we had become closer overall.

We talked for about half hour. I was cooking breakfast and he was getting ready to go golfing on the other end of the line. When the call finally hit that awkward part where we had nothing much left to say to each other, we ended it and went about our days.

Alex's Pov

One headache was solved. Now there was another. And I genuinely did not know if I'd find a way out of this one.

On the night of the reception, Miles asked me something. Miles and I were quite tight and had been for years. But he wasn't one of those people to expect their best friend to share everything. Sure, we mutually shared a fair load of things to each other. But Miles had not once in all of the 4 years I'd known him come to me and asked something about my personal life. If I shared something, he'd be more than happy to listen. But he'd never ask me anything directly. So when he asked me if I liked Kristen and the status of our relationship, I was a bit taken aback.

At first I thought he was just curious. Miles knew me like the back of his hand. He could always tell when I liked someone. I'd say we were being as inconspicuous as possible but Miles was still a hard one to fool. I thought that could've been why he asked. Pure curiosity.

Anyway, I lied to him. I told him I had no feelings for her and that she had none for me as far as I knew. He kept subtly poking and proding at the topic in his drunkness because he wasn't convinced by my answer. But I continued being unforthcoming until he finally gave up. This was seriously so unlike him so I very straightforwardly asked him why he needed to know. And then he dropped it on me. "I have a wee bit of thing for a Kristen." He said.

My brain froze and I was completely unable to react for the second time that night. My best friend liked my best friend who I liked secretly and had not yet made a move on. Great. Getting stuck in a love triangle between two of my best friends was a nightmare I didn't know I could have.

I didn't know what to tell him when he asked me again. I obviously couldn't admit that I had feelings for her. That would complicate everything even more. And even if I were to tell him, I'd be breaking my promise to Kristen again about keeping things private. To add to all of it, I'd also be breaking his heart. On the other hand if I lied to him, he'd pursue her. I could not imagine having to see that. But she wasn't mine to guard and keep to myself (though I seriously wished I could) so I continued with the lie and reassured him. I prioritized protecting the promise I made to her before anything else.

It felt like a really bad decision but the thought of Kristen being as uninvolved as possible gave me some relief.
Besides, I thought since he was drunk he could've just been saying things.
But no. Unfortunately for me, that wasn't the case.

Miles was in LA for the day and he invited me to go golfing with him. While we played at the club, he brought it up again.

"Hey just to make sure, you really are clear about it right?" He asked me in a serious tone.

"You are just so vague."
I didn't exactly get it at first.

"Sorry. I meant about Kristen."

"Uh, yeah I mean... yeah." I felt a sting in my heart.

"Great. Just wanted to make sure you're chill." He continued playing without saying anything more.

"Are you... planning on asking her out?"
Why was I asking questions I didn't want to know the answers to.

"Not right away, no."

"Is it like serious?" I asked.

"I just have a thing for her so I think I should just go for it like you always say."

Ofcourse, I said that to him. My own worst enemy.

"You shouldn't always take my shit advice." I joked. Or did I?

"I'm gonna take it this time." He winked.

At that point, I wondered if he even knew me as well as I thought he did. I couldn't help but feel a little furious at him. How could I call him my best friend if he couldn't even tell that I liked her? Yeah, I  clearly told him I didn't like her multiple times but if he knew me well enough he'd just know. I thought to myself. Quite selfish and irrational but I was always that way when it came to her.

It was a nice sunny morning and I would've liked nothing more than to golf with Miles. It was perfect. But after that conversation I just couldn't enjoy it anymore. I tried really hard to have a nice time but deep down, I was holding some intense feelings about it all which made me realise more than ever how much I liked her. So much that liked was an expired word now. It was a gross understatement.