Chapter 10: Nurseries

3/25/2010

  I was sat on the floor in the nursery opening a gigantic box. After struggling for about a minute I slowly got up to get an exact-o knife. I sat back down and smoothly sliced through the tape. I moved the cardboard flaps and dumped the contents on the floor sifting for the instructions.

  "Goodness sake, where are the instructions?" I said rummaging around for them.

  I finally found the bugger and began to assemble the crib. Once I finished I looked at my watch just as Ash approached me and nudged me signalling she needed to be let out. I took out her collar and her boots got her dressed and then opened the door and attached her to the leash mounted to the house. I then grabbed the car keys turned on the car and grabbed the car seat.

I headed outside after I bundled up and opened the car door and set down the box.

"Is it baby time?" Asked my neighbour who was shovelling a path on her front porch.

"No, not yet. She's taking extra long."

"That she is."

I opened the box and read the instructions to install it. I tried time and time again but couldn't get it. I finally decided to walk across the yard to the neighbours who were still shovelling snow.

"You got kids. Mind helping me install my car seat?"

  "Sure thing. I'm just gonna finish this step first." I nodded.

  After 20 minutes of wiggling the car seat around we finally secured it. We said bye then I let Ash in. I wasn't worried about her as she was a husky and loved the snow. I made myself a hot chocolate then went and got into my car.

  I set my thermos in the cup holder as I buckle up. I turned on the car and pulled out of the driveway after texting Jason I was on my way.

  After the typical time to travel from home to school, I pull into my usual spot and exit my car with my thermos.

  I walk over to the main doors and I'm greeted by Jason who opens the doors for me. I walk to my class and try to open the door but it's locked so I end up knocking on the door and it's opened by one of the girls.

  "It's Mrs. Rose!!" She screamed and the class erupted into cheers and chaos. I could tell the substitute was trying not to yell while trying to get their attention.

  I walk in further which only increases the volume. I set my coat and thermos down.

  "Alright! Quite down!" I practically yell over them.

  Silence.

  "Why were you all yelling? You're at school, not a soccer game." There are quite murmurs coming from the students. "Well, get back to work!" I said the last part with a smile on my face.

The substitute walked over to me and began talking. "What are you doing here?"

I'm puzzled at her questioning me. "Um, to see my students. Why else?"

"Well, who let you in?"

"Jason N, my husband."

"No, he can't be your husband."

"Why?"

"He's mine."

"Ok let's finish this outside." I say walking out and to Jason's class. I poke my head in. "Jason, can we talk?"

I walk out just as he does and the substitute runs over to him and tries to hug him but he pushes her away.

"We talked about this. You aren't allowed to touch me. Any shape or form."

"But why?" She said putting on puppy dog eyes.

"I'm married! We've been over this!"

"But she's not here!"

He nods in my direction while speaking "Um she's right here."

She immediately shut up backed away and left the building leaving all her things behind.

He explained how she'd been doing this the past week but didn't tell me not wanting to stress me. He also said he told the principal. I walked to the office and found Mrs Black. I told her I would be working the rest of the day and possibly tomorrow as well.

I walked back to where Jason was standing in the hall. I hugged him briefly before telling him I was working today. I walked into the class and turned on the smart board.

"Two choices. Kahoot or continue working. If you wanna do kahoot get out your laptops."

I turned on Kahoot put on an art one and let the kids have at it. After that Kahoot was done I let one of the girls put on another. The class was over and it was now time for lunch.

I didn't have anything to eat but I had my wallet. I waited until the teachers got in line for lunch and I joined them. They were serving chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes today. I bought mine and went into Jason's class set down my tray on an empty spot on his desk and grabbed a chair from the front row to sit at.

We made small talk as we ate and he also finished a sheet of paper.

  "What you doing?"

  "Oh. One of the girls, Mindy, composed her sheet music and asked me to grade it and fine-tune it."

  "That sounds lovely. May I see it?" He nodded and passed it to me. "Wow, that's complicated,"

  "Yeah. I've got to run it over to her now." He said got up and left.

  After a minute of searching for a substitute for tomorrow, I realized he'd forgotten the paper. I stood up to grab it. I then felt a small cramp which I assumed to be a Braxton hicks and ignored. I left the music room, paper and chicken nuggets in hand as I finished eating it. When I got to the cafeteria, Jason was nowhere in sight.

  I knew some kids ate in Ms Ali's room during lunch and headed off in that direction. I went down the two small flights of stairs on the way and knocked on the door once I arrived.

  "Come in."

  I opened the door to see Mindy and some other girls, but no Jason. I sighed. I quickly double-checked the paper and handed it to Mindy once I confirmed it was hers. Just then Jason walked in surprised to see me.

  "What're you doing here?"

  "You forgot Mindy's paper so I came to give it to her."

  We chatted for a minute then me and Jason walked back to the music room and finished what we were doing before. After lunch, the day went by in a flash. Annoyingly I couldn't find a substitute for tomorrow and Mrs Black and Mr Wilson, the principal would be out tomorrow so they couldn't cover so I had to come in tomorrow.

  At the end of the day, I and Jason and Esme drove home. I took Esme in my car and Jason went in his. Eva had previously gone home and was enjoying spending time with her newborn sister.

  After we ate supper I went and sat down on the couch next to Ash. Ash loved snuggling up, and would barely leave me since I became pregnant. She tried her best to climb up on my lap but my belly was in her way. She huffed and settled for resting her head on my belly with her front paws on my lap.

  I turned on the TV as I felt another small cramp and again, thought nothing of it. I flicked through the channels deciding on a cooking show. I started petting Ash as Esme walked in sat next to me with a book and began reading.

  After a little while, Jason came in and sat next to Ash on the other side of me. He reached his around over the back of the couch and placed his hand on my shoulder. Ash wasn't very big for a husky, we adopted her from an animal shelter and they suspected her mother was a husky and her father a smaller dog breed. We did do multiple DNA tests to find out but every time it comes back saying there are too many to identify.

  I then slowly drifted off to sleep after being exhausted.