Chapter 12

A/N: I apologise in advance lmfaooooo (don't come for me)

A/N: light gore & suicidal thoughts

Dear Diary;

I won and lost that night, I lost the love of my life but I my sister is alive.

How am I supposed to move on? How am I supposed to be okay with Liam's decision? How am I supposed to perform after everything that has happened this week?

I can't handle this, It's too much too fast.

Flashback:

"Theo! What the hell happened?" Mason asked, rushing to the scene of the crime. "Oh my god..." he said once catching sight of Liam's body, of what remained of it. His legs were completely mutilated, the vehicle had seemingly run them over.

"Mason, what do we do?" Theo said in a panicked tone, his mind racing a million miles a minute. "Mason," Theo repeated trying to figure out what to do, but Mason was in just as much shock as Theo was.

That was his best friend, the remains of his best friend sprawled across the road. "He looks like road-kill," Brett said with a small scoff, not seeing the incoming fist. Mason stepped back, his knuckle throbbing from the impact.

Brett stumbled back, tripping over his own feet and he stared up at Mason. "The fuck?" Brett complained, brushing the dirt off himself while Theo was on the phone to the ambulance, "don't tell them shit-"

Theo ignored him, describing the details of the events that had occurred before his eyes as he choked back the sobs threatening to escape. "They're on their way," he said wiping his tears before turning to Mason, "do you want to come?"

Mason nodded, "yeah I'm coming, he's my best friend." Mason wasn't going to leave Theo with Liam alone, seeing his best friend begin to stair on the road. "Shit," Mason gasped bending down to Liam's side and grabbing his hand.

"Theo-" Liam rasped out, his voice wheezing as his breath shook. His chest rose and fell with every breath he took, his hand shaking as he reached for Theo's hand. Theo appeared by his side, "are you-"

"Don't talk, just focus on breathing..." Theo said holding the younger boy's hand and gently rubbing circles around it, "you're gonna be okay." Theo said, although looking at Liam's legs he didn't fully believe himself either.

The trip to the ambulance was quick, they turned their sirens on, and the noise rang through Theo's mind. The paramedics began to talk in their codes, Theo had no clue what they were going on about.

All he knows is the beeping machine stopped, a long ring coming from it. The paramedics began taking action, one initiating compression while the other warmed up the defibrillation machine.

The rest of the scene was a blur, Theo didn't remember much of it. Just his sister holding him as he sobbed in her arms, her soothing words bringing him as much peace as it could.

When the doctor had announced Liam's death all Theo remembered was falling to his knees as sobs wrecked his body. He couldn't move, he couldn't breathe, and he couldn't think.

He didn't want to be here.

But then the doctor brought David in, Liam's stepdad. The last person Theo had wanted to see in that moment, he wasn't prepared for the words David spoke next.

Liam had put himself as a doner, an organ doner.

Next thing he knew they were cutting Liam open; his heart was a match for Tara. A piece of Liam would always be with him, within Tara...

The surgery was a success.

Present time:

Tara was alive, her heart exchange was successful, and Theo had his sister back. But why did he still have this hole in his heart, this aching and burning feeling that wouldn't let up, he felt sick.

Every day, he woke up as miserable as the day before. Despite having Tara back the couldn't help but feel distraught and broken, Tara had suggested he visit Liam's grave but Theo had declared he wasn't ready for that yet.

One day he would...

Future:

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Tara asked, her hand on the steering wheel and a sketch book in her bag. The same one she had shown Liam, "we don't have to if you're not ready..."

"I need to," Theo said. Biting his lip nervously as the car started, they began driving to the cemetery. He had been avoiding this for months, unsure of if he could handle it.

He couldn't, but he wanted to try.

Arriving at the cemetery Tara suggested she stay back, handing Theo a piece of paper she had ripped from her sketch book. She had drawn a lacrosse stick for Liam, a rough sketch to bring to life the tattoo he said he wanted.

Theo's eyes began to water, biting his tongue he nodded and exited the vehicle. Trying his hardest not to break down he found Liam's grave, the tombstone sitting high above it.

"Hey Li," His voice cracked as he crouched down, he instinctively reached out his hand and placed it on the tombstone. His heart aching and his stomach dropping as he began to sob, "I- I don't know what to say to you..."

He took in a breath, fidgeting with his fingers as he placed the drawing beside his tombstone. "I can't thank you enough for doing what you did... but I will never forget you," he said as a tear rolled down his cheek.

"I will love you forever," he said before slowing standing up. Giving Liam's grave a final look his heart fluttered, he knew it would be okay. Liam would be with him in spirit, he would see him one day.

They would be together again...

Published: 27th January 2024
Word count: 934