Chapter 9: Happy birthday, Silas! - part 1

It was the beginning of spring, and the Hazbin Hotel was bustling with activity once again. Every inch of its long hallways was decorated with colorful balloons of various shapes and sizes, banners were hanging on the walls and doors, and loud, hurried footsteps of hotel guests and staff running back and forth echoed through the corridors. An aroma of selected delicacies being prepared wafted out from the kitchen, making anyone who passed by it hungry. A cheerful piano tune resonated from the common room, followed by a distant laughter of several demons dressed in fancy clothes and ready for the upcoming celebration. It was the day of Silas's first birthday.

In the confines of their room, Charlie and Vaggie were orchestrating the transformation of Silas into the star of the show. The birthday boy was sitting on a couch before them, dressed in a plain white short-sleeved button-up shirt and black shorts held by suspenders. He had a little black bow tie around his neck and a tiny crown on his head, proclaiming his royal status. He looked utterly adorable. Silas curiously watched the two women standing in front of him with his yellow eyes, clutching a plush goat to his chest while sucking his thumb.

"Well, aren't you a cutie?" Charlie asked her son in a baby voice.

The princess was dressed in a dazzling flowing gown the color of fresh blood, her golden hair cascading like a waterfall down her back. She had a crown of her own, a bigger version of Silas's small one.

"He's a heartbreaker. I think we need to keep all the baby girls away from him," Vaggie chimed in with a smile. She was wearing a knee-length dress in a shade of pale salmon, the fabric complimenting her skin. Her hair, usually untamed, was now tied up in a high ponytail.

Charlie giggled. "We should probably keep the baby boys at a distance, too, just to be extra safe."

After a moment of contemplation, the princess placed her hands on her hips and furrowed her brows.

"Hmm." Charlie scrutinized Silas with a thoughtful expression, tapping a finger on her lips. She then picked up the comb she had used for her own locks a moment ago and ran it over Silas's head a few times in an attempt to straighten his unruly hair. She was met with only minimal success – her son's hair seemed to have a mind of its own, stubbornly defying gravity and order. "That's...a bit better," she tried to convince herself before patting Silas's head with a cheerful smile, her fingertips brushing over the two small bumps that had appeared a few months prior.

"His horns still haven't popped out," Charlie spoke towards Vaggie as her hand rested between Silas's hair tufts. "Is it already time to be worried?"

Vaggie picked up the boy and tickled him under the chin, prompting him to withdraw the finger from his mouth and giggle.

"Didn't the doctor say it might take some time?" Vaggie replied with a question. "Maybe he's just a really late bloomer. After all, he doesn't seem to mind. Right, Sy?" She tickled him once more.
The little prince giggled in response to the tickle, his eyes suddenly darting to Vaggie's heart-shaped necklace, intrigued by its sparkle. He reached out, his tiny fingers exploring the glimmering accessory and tugging at it.

The door to the room creaked open, and Caiphus, dressed in a tuxedo, poked his head through. "Are you coming yet?" He asked impatiently, glancing over the trio with annoyance.

Charlie looked at him calmly as she put on her gold pentagram-shaped earrings. "Just a minute longer."

The hellhound rolled his eyes, letting out an audible scoff. "Your parents are already here."

Charlie finished adjusting her accessories and took Silas from Vaggie's arms, planting a gentle kiss on the baby's cheek. "Do you hear that? Grandma and Grandpa came to see you. Let's show them what a handsome boy you are."