Tere Thappad| First Slap

Meerab Waqas Ahmed, was a modern woman- azaad khayal, with a dominating personality, like every other girl in her society she wanted to be an educated women. She believed in justice, in rights and was a humanitarian. She had always considered herself as strong independent woman until this, until Maa Begum and Anwar Khan started ruling her life, started making every important decision in her life.

"Baba ye log mere kuch nahi lagte, their thoughts make me sick. Haveli nahi qaid khaana hai Baba", she argued, Meerab hated the fact that her dad who lowered himself around these people, "Theek hai ahsaan hongey unke Baba, magar zindagi k faisle unke haathon dena kaha ka insaaf hai?"

"Who are these people Baba? Ye log samajhte kya hai khudko".

Waqas sighed, massaging his forehead, "Beta woh haveli bularahey, bade hai tumse, mere liye chalo...", the pleading look broke her heart, "Baba aapke liye chalungi... aapke maan rakhungi".

She pinched herself to control her tongue, she hated that family with a passion. They were bunch of idiots dancing on Maa Begum's commands, Maryam hardly spoke, Murtasim was his mother's chamcha. Haya, a psychopath. And Anwar... she had no opinions about him.

He reminded her of the so called weak men and so did Murtasim. As if he was insecure, overcompensating for his lack of manliness. 'Mard' weren't supposed to rule over a woman to show their masculintiy, nor where they supposed to be so crazy for their mother's love.

He loved his family but in her opinion he was fucking stupid to have left his studies when Maa Begum handed him the zameen. A feudal lord in today's society, what a joke. In her eyes he was an arrogant man, with no personality other than being a feudal lord.

Gaadi ka janeesheen...

Sher beta...

Their house was a real life big boss disaster, where they monitored a person's every single move, a person couldn't drink water without feeling Maa Begum's eyes drilling holes in the back of their head.

___

"Aapka beta meri anah ko gawara nahi hai", she said rejecting him, vocalizing her thoughts. "Is ghar m mera dam ghut ta hai saans nhi liye jaati, aap chahti h ki mai Meerab Waqas Ahmed aise ghar mai puri zindagi raho?"

Maa Begum's eyes turned red, the disrespect in her tone, the anger, the arrogance made her blood boil. She had never met a women as magrur as Meerab, "How dare you!! Itni besharmi... behayai se kisine mujhse baat nahi ki. Waqas kaisi tarbiyat ki hai iski, apne badon se koi aise baat karta hai?"

Her father lowered his head and Meerab burst out, "Aap badi hai chahti toh bahar hi tamasha lagadeti... magar maine aisa kuch nahi kiya. Chup rahi Baba k liye, Baba ki tarbiyat mai koi kami nahi hai"

Her eyes met Murtasim's and she laughed, "And Maa Begum you already have three-", she glanced at Anwar," four puppets dancing on your every command why do you want to add one more?"

Her words burnt Maa Begum, they were like daggers to her heart, she dropped on the seat breathing loudly. For twenty years since Shahanawaz Khan died, she had looked after the haveli all alone. It steeled her personality, made her dominating, forceful. Being a widow with a young son was tough, she had raised him all alone. Anwar was a father figure but a man who had abandoned his own kid, how good of a father he could be. Murtasim grew up under her guidance, a women in feudal society had to earn her place.

And now the girl her husband chose for her son was disrespecting her, Murtasim passed her a glass of water and stood beside her.

Meerab could feel his glare on her, and she didn't understand why wasn't he rejecting the idea.

"Meerab... maafi maango!" Her father screamed enraged by her tone, "Kis baat par Baba? Maine kuch galat nahi kaha.."

His hands raised and he slapped her on the cheek. She lost face, her head whipping to the side and she tried to process what just happened.

Her father... had slapped her.

Her father... who had never raised his hand just slapped her.

Her heart twisted, her eyes watered as her face burnt. She gazed at the ground unmoving, hoping this was a sick dream.

But it wasn't as she heard Anila gasp, her father had raised his hand because of her refusal. Because of this family. This family had a greater value than her in his eyes. His actual daughter.

Tears dropped from her eyes, she was unable to speak, so many words she wanted to utter but none came out.

She was in shock. In pain. She felt betrayed.

"Meerab beta...", Anwar tried to comfort her, who was this man? "Don't talk to me".

She warned glaring at him. She didn't like Anwar Khan or any of this so called 'Khan family'.

Her eyes moved to her father who was looking at his hand, in shock. His eyes apologetic, she shook her head, "Maa Begum ye thappad mujhe aap ki wajeh se padha hai... isse m yaad rakhungi".

Anwar interuppted, "Beta-"

"Nahi hu mai aapki beta.. kya beta beta.. you aren't my father. Toh aise act karna band krde k aap hai!"

It was the slap that opened her mouth, she lost all control over her tongue and lashed out.

"Maa ghar chalye... mujhe yaha nahi rehna.. in logon k beech mera dam ghut ta hai".

Anwar spoke again, "Magar beta ye tumhara ghar hai".

"Aap chupp hojaye!!! Mai apne Mama Baba se baat kar rahi hu".

Her words triggered Anwar... and Waqas couldn't help but scream, "Nahi hu mai tumhara Baba!"