𝟬𝟬𝟭. hell was the journey but it brought me heaven

chapter one

chapter one.
( hell was the journey but it brought me heaven )
S1E1 — a hard day's night.

              THERE WAS A SMILE ON DAPHNE Lawson's face that the sun could hardly rival

THERE WAS A SMILE ON DAPHNE Lawson's face that the sun could hardly rival. She wasn't a morning person in the slightest. She loathed the sound of the grating alarm and the drowsiness that overwhelmed her when she returned to consciousness. She didn't like the sun peaking through the curtains and causing her gaze to squint painfully against the light. Daphne didn't like mornings — which was peculiar, given how much of an optimistic person she tended to be.

But this morning . . . it was different. A new job. One that Daphne had fought her way into and turned down any connections her Aunt could use because she wanted to do it herself. She wasn't particularly fond of using Tamara Armstrong's name to secure her position in the program; in her eyes, it wasn't fair. A famous Aunt who'd made a name for herself didn't result to Daphne's eternal glory either.

But, regardless if she'd used them or not, Daphne had made it in. Years of studying, exceeding her peers in their tests and gaining a position at Seattle Grace Hospital — thousands of miles from the city she knew — which Daphne proudly bragged to everyone who expected her to plead for Internships from hospitals and appear desperate to everyone . . . that, in fact, was not the case.

Richard Webber knew Tamara Armstrong. He also knew her niece. Not personally, no — but through the emails of correspondence that Tamara and Richard exchanged with one another, the latter was aware of Daphne's desire for a place in a program that was well respected and honoured, so it was a no-brainer that Richard offered her a position the moment Daphne had graduated. He didn't need convincing from Tamara; Daphne's grades and results from Harvard was enough proof that she deserved a spot at his hospital.

Daphne moved from New York to Seattle in a heartbeat. She didn't have a permanent place to live ( hence the residing in a hotel room ) and she was oblivious to the enormous city before her . . . but Daphne couldn't wait. She was thrilled beyond belief to be there, to know she was actually handling patients and their care, not a 'what if' in a lecture or practicing on mannequin that was nothing like the real thing.