Chapter 1 🌕

"So why did you say no again Layla?"
"I had just walked in the door, only a hand full of people had seen me before then, and he asked me to dance. He asked me in a way that just announced how full of himself he was. Every girl in the ball room, and every woman, seemed to gasp. Telling me that he had to be some type of full of himself prick."
"Well you can't just go off gut feeling."
"When has my gut ever been wrong Maria."
Maria smiles as she continues to help me unlace my corset. She's been with me since I was a child, she's like a second mother to me.
"It's never been wrong Layla, but that doesn't mean it can't be wrong this time."
"Oh I am sure it's right. Lady Kingsley told me so, he's only ever been with a woman one night. She's never seen it last longer."
Maria has finished unlacing my corset and I've moved behind a curtain to slip into my night gown.
"Well I say this not to cause harm, but wouldn't that work for you?"
"What do you mean Maria. How would that help me?"
"With the dresses? How are you supposed to promote them?"
"Maria I am going to the balls with them on isn't that enough? You should have seen them when I walked in they were in awe of the dresses beauty."
"I'm sure they were miss but what happens when you dance with every man in there and still haven't found a suitor. Won't that look bad on the dresses, on you? They may begin to not want to wear the dresses if a women who can't even get a proper suitor is wearing it."
"Well what am I supposed to do. I don't really want a suitor I am only 19."
"Exactly. Lord Harrington isn't looking for a future wife, just someone pretty to have on his arm. So why not use that to your advantage?"
"She's already messed that up by saying no to him dancing Maria. Men don't like to be embarrassed."
My mother walks into the room. Lady Fawn. I am almost a spitting image of her, except I don't compare to her beauty. She and I share the same long brown hair and we are both taller than the average women around, 5,10. She's says she wishes she had my eyes, they are a shade of blue, and that it is unfair I got them from my father.
"Come to tuck me into bed mother."
"You are not four. I came to ask if you have spoken to your fath-"
"Step."
"Have you spoken with him?"
"I have not. Why, does he want to see me?"
"No, no. I just haven't seen him since this morning. He had been out for some time and I am beginning to worry."
I get in my bed and Maria begins to put my hair into a lose braid.
"Mother don't worry your self to much. He will be fine, just go down stairs and prepare your self for bed. He'll arrive shortly I am sure."
She stares at me as if she wants to ask me a question, and I can guess which one it is. However she never lets the words leave her mouth.
"I'm sure you're right darling. I will head down soon, though how did the ball do. Did the dress make a good impression."
"It did. I'm sure the designer will be happy when the paper comes out about the dress! I believe the shop should be open by the time I go to the next ball so I will drop the name in a few conversations, hopefully creating some interest for the designer."
"Perfect. Thank you for doing this dear it means the world you were so nice about being walking advertisement when offer presented itself!"
"You know how much I love fashion it is not a problem mother."
She smiles and turns heading towards the door. As she heads down the door I hear her call, "You will be 20 soon by the way darling."
"I love you!"
"Love you too darling."
Maria finished the braid and looks at me with annoyance in her eyes.
"I hate that man."
"We both do Maria. However there is nothing I can do or say, she has to realize it on her own."
I pull my covers back and crawl into my bed. The bed is cold, but it will warm up soon. I pull the covers back, almost burying myself in them. Maria walks towards the door her steps becoming softer as I become more tired. She shuts the door and I can hear her heading down the hall, her foot's steps growing silent as she walks away.
20 is still far to young for me to get married. And that is that.