Chapter 3 🌑

I look into the mirror of the bathroom. You can do this. Just stay calm. Do as dad did. I stand up and fix my coat. I walk out the bathroom door, down the hall, and stand in-front of our office. You could can hear a pin drop, the house isn't normally this quiet. However, my mom removed everyone from the house for this meeting. I place my hand on the door nob and turn.
"Good evening gentlemen." I say to the two men seated in the chairs in front of my desk. John is standing next to it.
"Good Evening Lord Harrington." They stand from their seats when I walk in.
"How has today been treating you two?" I say as I shake their hands and head to my chair.
"Oh the usual. Work, work, and more work." Then men chuckle.
"Well Lord Duncan, sounds like a good day."
"Hopefully it will end good." He looks at me with his eyes narrowed, and he removes his top hat placing it on my desk.
"So do we." I look up at John who is straight faced, starring at Lord Duncan. Duncan's apprentice next to him is unfamiliar to me. I don't recognize him from any social events, or from any other businesses affairs. He has a pin and notebook, ready write down all that is said or done.
Lord Duncan speaks up.
"Well then. Shall we begin."

I look at him. I've put everything I can down on the table all I have to do now is sell it.
"This all sounds great Harrington. Ive never had an investor, well, invest so much!"
"You are a valuable client. I just want to make sure you feel that way."
Come on just take the deal! Let's get this over with.
"As much as I love the way this sounds I have some concerns."
Fuck.
"And what may that be?" John asks, confusion in his voice. He must of thought this was going just as well as I did, before the "concerns" of course.
"Well. I don't mean to bring up the past but-" his apprentices pen clicks.
"Your reputation isn't the cleanest."
Fucking prick.
I look up at Lord Duncan. Trying my best to hide how pissed I am.
"I am aware of that sir. However it doesn't affect the business I can offer."
"Except it does." Duncan is frowning.
"Your reputation is far from good. You are seen as selfish, untrustworthy-." He pauses but I know what he's going to say.
"Aggressive." The apprentice looks for my reaction.
"I-" I start.
John however interrupts me.
"Lord Duncan. I've known Harrington here since he was young. His reputation is built off of gossip, exaggerated situations, and straight lies."
As John speaks the apprentice is writing frantically.
"Not to mention the pressure this young man is under, mistakes will be made-"
"But my business will not fall to his mistakes Lord Kingsley."
Why is he writing. He hasn't written this whole time. My mind is spinning, watching every glance down this man takes to his paper. He's eyes are dancing on his paper just as his pen is doing.
"I can assure you it will not." John answers.
I just want to yell put the fucking pen down, but that's the worst thing I can do in this situation.
"Does Lord Harrington have any other partners?"
"Yes he is partnered with-" John goes to answer his question.
"That isn't a large corporation?" Duncan raises his eye brow.
"Well. No." John is starting to chock.
No. He wouldn't. I begin frowning angrier with ever glance he takes up from the page. Is he even an apprentice. Or is he-
"How dare you." I grumble, standing from my chair.
"Pardon?" Lord Duncan looks puzzled.
"You bring a news writer into my office. You lied about a business opportunity to make a quick buck off this reporter." I lift my eyes up. My head locked on the reporter. His eyes are large.
"Are you even interested in partnering or is this all a ruse. A trick to learn more." I look at Duncan his eyes filled with shame, but he continues to lie.
"Lord Harrington I never said this man wasn't a reporter." My blood begins to boil.
"How did my father ever do business with the likes of you. You call me a Lier, a cheater, but yet you use me like this." I snap.
I grab the paper from the reporters hands. It wasn't hard as his fright causes him to drop it. I take the paper and rip it up.
"If you want something to report on report on this. Lord Duncan-"
"No." John says.
"What do you mean no." I twist my head in his direction.
"We will not fall to their level." John looks at the reporter.
"If you would please be as so kind to leave. Duncan will be out shortly." He smiles at the reporter as he scurry's off like a cat, through the door and out of the room.
"Lord Duncan you are lucky I stop Harrington here from sharing the news about your affair."
Duncan's eyes grown large.
"How."
I smirk.
"Those one night stands can come in use. Women love to talk." I say to him.
He gulps. I can practically see his mind shift, his eyes are full of fear, shame, and rage. It's a sight that I am loving seeing.
"Now if you know what's good for you. You'll take our deal, and be on your way." John says he's not smiling. His face is straight, but I know he's enjoying watching this rat squirm.
"Of course. I will have my people contact you soon." He answers.
After that he practically runs out the room. I hear the front door open then close, and his carriage race off.
I take a seat. John moves to the seat where the reporter sat only moment before. I rub my face, trying to somehow rub away the shame filling my body.
"How did you know about his affair."
"Let's just say Melody is the perfect business man's wife. She knows everyone, and everything." He leans back staring up at the ceiling.
"I'm not cut out for this John. I'm practically running his business into the ground. My father never had to resort to bribery to get a client."
"I would have to disagree. A few of his clients had dirt we knew. Though I can't disagree that business has been slow." He looks my way.
"However, it's not your fault."
"It's is John. As soon as I took over the business everything went to shit. Most our old clients dropped us due to my, "younger life style" they said. We have the large corporations but that's not what this business is about. I want to continue supporting more local large growing businesses. It's what my father loved doing, and I just..."
"Wanna keep him alive in that way. I understand." He looks at me, sorrow in his eyes.
"What did I say about that look John."
I look at his glaring my eyes. Theirs silence for some time before he speaks.
"Well then let's stop having a pity party, and do something about it." He stands up putting his hands on the desk.
"We need to find a new up and coming business. One where the owner hasn't yet heard of your "reputation". However, it needs to have some kind of future." He puts his hand in his beard and strokes it while he thinks.
I sit there for a moment and then an idea strikes.
This idea may kill me, but if it doesn't it could be the solution to our problem.
"How do you feel about dresses John?"