Chapter 3🌕

I sit in my room drawing a new design when Maria walks in.
"I have our drinks!" She smiles.
She sets it down in my desk, and then sits in the couch chair near my desk.
"Thank you Maria." I don't look up when I say it, I'm too busy sketching and writing.
"So I have some questions about the shop."
"If you keep your voice down, ask away!"
"How is it going to work? Like if you can't be there, or it just can't be known at all that you own it?" She looks at me, sipping her drink.
I put my pencil down. What happened to keep you voice down?
"First. Quite. Second, I think we have most of it figured out. I've brought in someone to act as the owner but in reality will be like a manager of some sorts. I'll bring in the designs I draw every week on Sundays, since that's when the shop will be closed, and look over everything. Seamstresses will make the dresses and I'll review them when I go in on Sundays. Only issue right now is, the spot where the shop is, is costing most of my funds to rent out." I look down at my paper.
"So you need a partner of some sort?"
"Exactly. However I'm not sure if where to find one, but I'm going to ask Lady Kingsley if she knows of any. I'll say the shop is looking for recommendations of some sort."
She looks up at me with a sad expression on her face. I begin to grow worried.
"What's wrong?" I lean over and grab her hand.
"Do you think... I could try in a dress" her eyes look like a puppy begging to be fed. Except the puppy ate only moments before. I drop her hand and roll my eyes.
"You ask like I've never let you try on the dresses before! We practically had a fashion show when I was the one making the dresses!" I look at her giggling at her own little joke. Maria has been with us since she was 11. Her mother started working for us and she came with her. She's 3 years older than me, but yet I still see her as my best friend. Her mother stop working for us when we were about to move here, not Maria though. She said she loves the job to much, and I love having her do the job. Though at this point her job is to be my best friend, travel with us almost everywhere, and tidy my room up a bit when I'm not home.
"You actually had me worried there for a moment." I begin sketching again.
"Well I'm glad you care so much about little old me." She flaps her eyes as if she's a damsel in distress from a fairy tale. She stands up to walk of the room but before she does she turns to me.
"Oh yeah! Your mother wanted to let you know Lady Kingsley wants to have tea later today! I heard she's bringing Lady Harrington and her hunky son."
She winks at me and practically skips out of the room. I never should have told her I thought he was slightly attractive. I have yet to hear the end of it. I start drawing a more in depth sketch of the dress I'm designing, looking at other ones I've made for inspiration. His actions still disgusts me. The way he acted as if I was going to fall at his feet that night. what a prick. I still remember the surprise in his face when I said no. His, I now know brother, also had a look of surprise on his face. However, it was soon replaced by laughter as I walk away from him towards my mother who was speaking with Lady Kingsley and another group of women. When I told Melody what had happened, I was met by a smile and some laughter. Everyone else looked as dumbfounded as he did, I began hearing story after story. Some of his charms, some of his love affairs, others of his business affairs. The most recent being him drunkenly punching a man who turned out to be a duke. Now that's a stupid man right there. Punching a duke. I shake my head. Wonder what caused such a mistake...