seven.

AUGUST

Maya remained on August's heel as she entered the apartment.

"Clint what's going on?" Kate's voice shook a little bit.

Before August had a chance to stop her, Maya swung at Kate.

"Maya's here," the young archer declared, clearly speaking into an earpiece.

August kicked Maya, "You just had to show up, right now?"

The other woman rose an eyebrow at her, not bothering to fight back against August as Kate was still there.

Kate ran around the side of the counter, putting distance between her and Maya, "Then why didn't you tell me?"

Kate through a vase in Maya's direction, "No Maya is definitely here."

August watched both Kate and Maya carefully, trying to predict what the next move would be. At least that way she could get a step ahead.

"A little help?" Kate panted just as Maya used her knee to kick her over the couch.

August arms wrapped around Maya holding her back.

Although Maya was angry, August's touch threw her off completely. Maya felt the other woman's heartbeat...August was really there.

Just like that, Maya spotted Kate who was about to get away and the spell was broken. She tossed August off her back and the brunette hit the floor with a thud.

"Ouch," August rubbed the back of her head, the whole room spinning for a couple of seconds.

"You were supposed to keep her over on your side." Yelena's word flew out in Russian, filling her own earpiece.

"Sorry, my bad" August stood up, still trying to recover from the dizzy spell.

August spotted Maya who was about to get on to the zip line, "Incoming!" She warned Yelena.

"What? Who now?"

August didn't have time to answer that, looking around the apartment for something to get her across the zip line.

"You're doing a really bad job here, August." Yelena said pointedly, knocking Barton on to his back.

"Fuck, sorry. Maya knocked me on my ass." August muttered before jumping on to the zip line.

"Maya? This is Maya?"

August's feet landed on the other roof, and she immediately received a bow to the face simply because she happened to land right in between Kata and Maya.

Yelena blasted Maya with the widow bites, sending her flying to the other side of the roof.

"Sorry, Jo." August muttered as she sent a kick to the girl's stomach.

Which of course Josephine immediately began to fight her back. She attempted to do the body throw thing, however August was back on her game now.

No longer worried about what was happening around her. So she reciprocated the move, she was like fighting a mirror after all.

August also happened to know the widow's fighting style very well as she and Yelena trained together a lot.

Yelena needed Kate out of the way, so as she was fighting her, she attached her to a wire, and pushed her off the roof.

Which of course caught Clint's attention.

"Why are you doing this?" Josephine bit out, running to the edge of the roof, a sigh of relief escaped her lips seeing Kate hang off the wire.

The fight was back in full swing, when Kate re approached the roof after Clint let her fall. She shot an arrow and a loud explosion ran out.

August protected her head as as she fell back into the cement roof.

Maya kicked Kate across the gap in the roof, but Kate recovered quickly. She popped up to her feet and shot an arrow into Maya's shoulder.

Maya seemed to understand that she was in over her head. She pulled the arrow out of her shoulder and stole one last glance at August. She walked away from the fight.

August returned her attention to the fight at hand, Josephine had a gun pointed at her...and Clint had tugged Yelena's mask off.

Kate drew back and arrow pointing it at Yelena.

The blonde woman shook her head and Kate hesitated, slightly lowering the bow. Yelena threw down the anchor and dramatically jumped off the roof.

August took that as her sign to also leave, swiftly moving to the other side of the roof and following Yelena.

JOSEPHINE

"Who the hell was that?" Kate panted.

Josephine nervously crossed her arms over her torso, and Clint shook his head.

"You don't wanna know, Kate." Clint sighed.

"I can not be your partner if you don't tell me what's going on." Kate's eyes watered.

"You're not my partner. Do you understand that? You never were." Clint turned around, "Someone has hired a Black Widow Assassin—"

"I know who she was—" Josephine sighed, abruptly cutting off Clint. Both Kate and Clint looked at her, "She uh, I um, she freed me."

Clint seemed to be slowly putting the pieces together, "She freed me from Chemical Subjugation."

"You're a widow," Clint breathed, and Josephine took in a shaky breath.

"Yeah...I was."

"You never told me that," Kate whispered, "I thought you trusted me?"

"Kate—"

"I don't wanna hear it, Jo."

Clint sighed, "Look Kate, this has gotten very real, very quickly. So I'm doing this alone."

Kate shook her head, her attention returning to Clint, "No, you're not. Look, I know that tonight didn't go as planned but I chose to be here. I understand the risk. I understand all of that."

"I'm not gonna do it. Do you hear me?" He asked, "Do you hear me?"

Kate sniffled, and Clint marched over to her, taking the bow, "Go home, Kate. It's over."

Kate's lip quivered, as she spun on her heel, walking towards the stairwell.

Clint and Josephine shared a look, before she turned to jog after her girlfriend, "Kate wait up!"

"No, I don't want to talk to you, Jo." She stopped abruptly in front of the stairwell door, "And I don't want to be around you right now. Just leave me be."

Josephine sucked in a breath, nodding, "Fine, I'll figure something else out."

The curly haired brunette watched Kate walk away, she was sure the woman would get over it...hopefully.

Maybe Kate would come around and understand why Josephine didn't tell her.