eleven.

AUGUST

The woman gathered very quickly what was happening. Someone else was also here to kill Kazi. Which was something August couldn't let happen.

That would almost be worse for her than not killing her target. She would most likely not only be out of a job but she'd also have a target on her back because she knew too much about Valentina's plans.

August swiftly made her way up the stairs and out of Kazi's view. Loading her gun, and clicking the safety off of it.

A soft gasp escaped her lips as the person who was riding the motorcycle removed their helmet.

Fuck

"You should've left, Maya and never come back." Kazi signed, "you know what I have to do."

Kazi attacked first, which Maya nearly effortlessly blocked. A kick launching Kazi to the side.

That's when he noticed August.

His eyes diverted from Maya as he backed up to a pole. Which made Maya very briefly look away from him, her eyes finding August.

If she was surprised, it didn't show on her face. Maya shook her head and looked back at Kazi, "I don't want to kill you. I want to leave this all behind. Together."

August couldn't see what Maya was saying so she remained still, just a couple of feet away.

"Don't you understand?" Kazi signed, a bitter look on his face, "This is my life Maya. My life! It was never supposed to be yours."

The man stood up, facing the two women. August still had her gun raised, a little bit torn between what she should do and what she had to do.

"Don't make me do this, Maya."

August rose an eyebrow, "What makes you think I won't shoot you before you get the chance?"

That drew Kazi's attention back to the assassin, "You won't kill me. Not in front of her."

August bit the inside of her cheek nervously, he was right. She probably wouldn't. Kazi refocused his attention on Maya.

"I'm not like you. It's too late!"

"It's not too late!" Maya pleaded with him, "If you're brave enough to choose it. We can walk together."

"He won't let that happen." Kazi sighed, "I can't walk in both worlds."

From that moment forward it all happened so fast. Just as quickly as Kazi approached Maya, arrow in hand, he ended up bleeding out in Maya's arms.

"Leave Maya, he's coming for you."

A tear escaped Maya's eye as she stood up, moving away as quickly as she had come in. August jogged forward to catch up to her, "Maya wait." She signed cutting her walk off in the middle of the sidewalk.

Maya stopped, studying August's face, waiting for her to continue.

"Where are you going?"

Maya shook her head, "Why do you care?"

"Because, I do." August signed, "I just do."

August couldn't bring herself to talk about how she really felt. She couldn't bring herself to show Maya how much she cared.

Maya shook her head again, her eyes watering, "I need to stop him. I can't keep losing people because of him."

"Maya there is no outcome in which this ends well." August signed, tears forming in her own eyes, "I can't—"

Maya looked at her questioningly when she stopped mid thought. August took a deep breath, hoping to calm her nerves.

"I can't lose you again."

A hint of realization washed over Maya's features, "August."

"No." August shook her head, "I know we made mistakes and that this," she motioned between the two of them. "Didn't end well."

August paused, "But I'm on your side, Maya. From now on, I am on your side."

Maya swallowed, "What if this ends poorly, just like it did before?"

It seemed that they were both scared of the same scenario. The one where they both ended up heartbroken.

Neither of them wanted to feel that loss again, but August couldn't keep being scared of the what ifs. There wasn't enough time in life for that.

August shrugged, "Then at least we know we tried."

A beat of quiet stillness passed between the two women, "I have one more thing I have to do." Maya signed.

August wanted to argue with her, to go with her to face whatever it was together but she didn't. She let her go.

The brunette let out a quiet sigh, watching Maya walk away. A pang of anxiety filling her chest, as she thought over all of the possible outcomes.

JOSEPHINE

"Kate! Wait up!" Josephine ran behind her finally catching up.

The woman had so much to say to Kate. Things that she would have never admitted if you asked her about them a month ago.

The archer spun around, glaring at the curly haired woman, "What do you want Jo?"

"I want to explain." Josephine sighed, thinking about how much easier things would've been if she had just opened up to Kate in the first place.

"Well my mom is in danger. So, I really don't have time for this." Kate huffed, trying to walk away when Josephine stopped her again.

Josephine wasn't about to let her go before she had a chance to hear her out. She didn't want their relationship to end like this, and she was worried if she didn't say anything now, it would.

"Look," Josephine spoke, "I love you Kate and I'm sorry I didn't tell you about my past but it's scary ok? It's scary trying to tell someone that I love about something that could change their entire view of me. I didn't want to hurt you, I just wanted to be normal and happy and—"

"You love me?" Kate's lips parted.

Josephine froze, she hadn't even realized she said it. She had not meant to say it.

"I—um—"

"I love you too, god I'm so sorry for getting pissed at you about something that is clearly difficult to talk about." Kate spoke her eyes never leaving Josephine's.

The curly haired woman gave her a small reassuring smile, "It's okay, I promise. Now let's go save your mom even if that means fighting the guy Barton's been worried about this whole time."