ix. unbroken

ix | unbroken

          𝕮eleste had not been born when Harry Potter had defeated the Dark Lord for the first time. Her parents hadn't deemed it safe to have a child until the Dark Lord was defeated and then, he was and they got their wish. She was born nine months later, there about.

In her second year at Hogwarts, Harry Potter had competed in the Triwizard Tournament and won. That was when she first became aware of him, though not that much. She just knew that he had cheated the rules and somehow managed to get into the Tournament, despite being too young to do so. In her third year, Umbridge had shown up and despite making everyone's life a living hell, Celeste had not been too badly affected, being a Slytherin and all, as well as not getting into trouble all that much. Then, in her fourth year, Dumbledore had been killed and the school had been attacked. 

Celeste couldn't continue to ignore the upcoming war much after that, knowing that it was a more and more frightening reality.

She and her parents had discussed her going back to Hogwarts, knowing that she was a pureblood Slytherin and that she wouldn't be targeted by the Death Eaters for her blood status. So, she had gone back. Still, the stories of muggles and muggle borns being hunted was making her worry.

It was only when she got to Hogwarts, she found people huddled around an illicit radio, listening to something called Potterwatch, trying to help out with the resistance however they could. Most believed Slytherin to be the evil house, but Slytherins knew how to plot and they'd do it best. The older students were helping the younger ones learn to duel, Celeste had been recruited to help out after seeing her natural talent for it. They learnt spells, brewed healing potions to distribute to the DA, the resistance in the school, they'd managed to hide all of this from the watching eyes of the Carrows despite the fear that threatened every one of them. Unbreakable vows were made, people sworn to secrecy to not snitch to the Carrows and everyone learnt to keep their head down and views to themselves. Whatever their thoughts were on blood purity, or this situation, they could all agree that the Dark Lord would be worse for all of them.

It was like living under constant surveillance, where any wrong move would get them tortured.

Celeste had been lucky that it had never happened to her, but remembering eleven year olds screaming at the feeling of Crucio tearing through their body, still made her tremble later at night when her mind had nothing else to focus on.

When the final battle had come, Celeste had been split up from her friends, from those she knew in her house and had been sent elsewhere to duel by herself, with others knowing her proficiency. She could hold her own, thus Celeste was cursed to fight alone. She had watched children fall and die, she had seen people torn to shreds by werewolves, and the screams of Ginny Weasley as they dragged Saint Potter's dead body into the courtyard was one that made her hair stand on end. It shouldn't have been that way. Nothing should have been that way and yet Saint Potter failed and it had been left on her to sort out. Celeste had been the only one capable of doing what she did, yet it cost too much.