Annie hung on desperately, and T.D. watched her wasting away until she was barely skin and bones. During that time, he took every odd job he could find, scrounging for every dollar he could get, skimping on himself so he'd have more money.

He spent every waking hour that he wasn't working spending time with his twin. He told her about classes, about his jobs, and about their trip. His stories, especially about the trip they would take soon, kept her happy and gave meaning to her life. She felt the only reason she had been able to hang on was his devotion.

Several weeks later, the twins were home alone. They knew their father was at the local bar, and Annie hoped they had some time alone. "T.D., I got something to say. Come sit with me fer a bit."

Once they'd sat on the sofa in the living room, she said, "You are my best friend."

T.D. smiled as put his arm around her and said, "Sweetie, we've always been best friends. What you are sayin' is as obvious as your pretty blue eyes."

Looking in his eyes, she said, "T.D., let me talk. There's something important I want to tell you – to ask you to do for and with me, and I'm scared enough to get through it."

"Annie, my sweet sister, you know I would do anything for you. What do you want?"

"T.D., I love you with all my heart. I don't know how much longer I'll be here ..."

"Don't say that, Annie ..."

As her tears started to flow, she put her finger on his lips and said, "T.D., let me finish – I gotta say this now, while Pa's not gonna be here. T.D., you have taken care of me ever since Ma's death. You have been my rock, and my best friend. Now, my dear T.D., would you please be my lover, too? I want to know what you feel like to me ... in me ... with me. I feel like I won't be with you much longer, and I feel I need this."

"Annie, I can't say no, you know that. I don't want to hurt you, though."

"T.D., I need this. I just know it's gonna help more than hurt."

"Only if you're sure. Let me help you up to your room ..."

– o O o –

This became a regular activity – weekly at least. To T.D., it truly seemed to be helping Annie. Still, he had to be sure, each time.

"Annie, are you sure you're feeling OK? I know we have time, but you gotta rest, too."

"T.D., when we're together, I really am resting – I am living! In fact, it gives me hope I'll make it. T.D., it gives me faith I'll have a future. So let's, please."

– o O o –

In mid spring, a week before their 18th birthday, T.D. decided he had to give his father a chance to do the right thing. "Pa, Annie's really feelin' poorly. Can't we just take her to the doctor one more time? Maybe he's ..."

"Shut yer damn trap and get to work! All he's gonna do is tell us she's gotta get to Atlantis and that is not gonna happen!"

– o O o –

A week later, it was the twins' 18th birthday. They were now legally adults, and T.D.'s planning was about to come to fruition. After a cab ride from Martinton, they were talking with Dr Amananth in his offices, south of Chicago. They were there with two small backpacks and a small cooler. Annie was clinging to both T.D. and a stuffed bear. T.D. needed to help her into the office.

As the doctor was setting up a video recorder in his office so it would have the twins in frame. When he finished, he said, "T.D., I'm going to record this in case someone decides to try to stop you. Also, I need to have a record showing you want this, but I will definitely help if you do. We won't discuss where you are going – that's got to be kept to yourselves. As I record, I need you to tell me that you both are acting without being coerced. And please, be truthful. Once we have that, I'll stop recording and we'll discuss more," the doctor said, as he started the recorder. After checking that it was working properly, he said, "For the record, I have Theodore Hamton, Jr, and his sister, Annette Hamton. Today is their 18th birthday. Now, I know you've told me before, but I need your verbal assurance that you are not forcing your sister to come with you."