Teenage ghost

A ghost. A spirit. An entity. And unwanted being.

I had been called many names before, but none of them were mine. None of them were the name my mother had given me. None of them fit me and none of them gave me any satisfaction when spoken.

But wasn't that what I was? I wasn't alive. No, I had realized that much sooner than I had wanted. I just wish i had died in a more interesting place. Maybe the nearby supermarket, or the shopping center about 10 minutes from here. But no, I died in my own house.

I was never one to stay home all of the time. I had always loved to go for long walks, feel the breeze on my body. I loved to go out with friends to the skating rink, the arcade, the mall. I loved hanging out with my family and traveling. I especially loved to go meet cute boys.

An extrovert if you will.

But that was all over now. It had been over for... how long ago was 1989? 35 years?

Here I am, 19 years old, supposed to be 54, wandering around this old house.

It hadn't always been so old, the house I mean.

It used to be semi-new, built in the 60's but dressed for the 80's. With all of the people that lived in this house, there had been some decent wear and tear. It had been bad until the new landlord did a pretty good job at fixing it up a couple of months ago.

He painted all of the walls a nice beige color, redid the kitchen and bathrooms completely. Added carpet to the rooms. Replaced the old wooden floors with new shiny wood. He even cleaned out the attic.

It looked completely different from when I first got here, but it was cool seeing the house evolve over time.

Speaking of people living in this house, today was the day that I would be getting new roommates. I remembered when they came to view the house: a woman, her husband, her son, and two preteens girls -twins. It took them about a week to get things settled before moving in but now that the day was here, there were many boxes all around the house; all with different labels to mark everyone's belongings.

"Liam, could you please be careful with that box? It has all of the glass dishes in it." The woman spoke, bringing in a box herself. Who I'm guessing was Liam followed right behind her, carrying a box that said "glass - kitchen" written on the front.

I grew anxious as I watched Liam's muscles flex in his black t-shirt from carrying the heavy box.

Fuck, he's a stud.

I understand that I'm supposed to be in my 50's but I'm still technically 19 so it's not weird. Honestly, I was hoping that this family would move in after I had saw Liam during the viewing. Now that they were here I finally had something to keep me motivated.

It was something about this boy from a completely different generation that gave me butterflies.

Maybe it was his height? I've always liked them lengthy and he had to be at least 6'2. Maybe it was his eyes? He had light brown eyes- no, hazel. Maybe it was his hair? It came down flowing, a little past his shoulders, a nice dark brown. He also had those cute bushy eyebrows that made me feel weak. He had a nicely sculpted face that seemed to always be perfectly placed. No matter what expression it was, it looked good on him.

I bit my lip, following him into the kitchen. I watched as he placed the box down with a huff, his boxers peeking from his sweatpants. "Who the hell even packs a box this full with fragile items?" He grunted, clearly annoyed.

I couldn't help the smile that grew on my face. Even when he was complaining he was just so cute to me.

"Ok, that should be the last of the boxes." His father came into the kitchen, going to the fridge to grab two bottles of water. He gave one to Liam and opened the other, taking sips.