Chapter 10

Working girls were hanging around on the sidewalk: alone, in pairs; chatting, and posing.

From time to time, a car stopped and the driver pointed at one or two of them. Some negotiated a price. Some didn't, and off they went.

A few motels had popped up along the street. Their window curtains were drawn, and graffiti decorated their walls. One was a man that pushed his fist down his throat and devoured his arm.

"I still think it's better to buy from a gun shop. Getting involved with Junior is a bad idea." Toby said.

The siblings were sitting in the car, waiting for the gunrunner to show up.

"That's not an option. Anything might happen. I don't want the police to trace it back to us." She said.

"It's my mistake. I shouldn't have mentioned him." He shook his head.

"How do you know him, you said?"

"We went to the same high school." He lit a cigarette.

"I think I remember him."

"Once you meet the guy, it's hard to forget him."

"You really hate this dude." She said, peering at him. "What's he done?"

"Nothing."

"Come on, what happened?"

"I said nothing."

"Go on. I need to know more about him so I can handle him." She shoved his arm.

"No, you're just nosey." He took a deep drag and puffed the smoke out of the window. "One night in the park, he and his crew picked on me. Let's just say it wasn't pretty. And we didn't get along in the school either."

A girl with long legs and a skirt that barely covered her bottom separated from her friends and walked to their car. Shaking her booty, she bent over and smiled at Toby. "Looking for some good time, honey?"

He turned his head away from his sister so she couldn't read his lips. This also blocked the girl's face for the same reason. "As much as I like to, I can't. Maybe some other time."

"What? Your little girlfriend might get jealous?"

"She's not my girlfriend. "

"If you say so." She winked.

He took another drag on his cigarette." if you thought she was my girlfriend, why did you come over?"

"Nothing wrong with a little bit of competition. It's fun to take another woman's man. And since you're not game..." She pushed his head aside and looked at Christina. "How about you, sweetie? I don't mind some girl-on-girl action."

Toby giggled, and his sister smacked him in the back of his head.

"You're not my type. Thanks anyway." Christina said.

"A threesome maybe? You're both cute. I'll give you my special discount." The girl kept her head in the window, showing a lot of cleavages.

"This is my brother," Christina pointed at Toby.

That did the trick and the woman stood upright. "We don't want God to smite us on the spot now, do we?" Her tall frame turned and she returned to her friends. Then pointing at their car, she said something, and they burst into laughter.

Her last offer had made the siblings uncomfortable. They avoided looking at each other and watched the bustling neighborhood. After a couple of minutes, the back door opened and a short stocky man in his mid-twenties jumped in. He had pushed back his gelled hair and long sideburns came down his cheeks.