Chapter 34

Eric got out of the car and looked at his house. All the lights were on. Did Jimmy leave the lights on because he was afraid of being alone?

He didn't do it before. Maybe thanks to his dad, now he is scared of the dark.

He shook his head and went inside. The TV was on, and the video game had frozen on the screen. Somebody had lost. And the game was asking if anyone wanted to play a new round.

He turned the TV off and picked up Jimmy's backpack from the couch. It usually accompanied his jacket on the same spot, but the cloth wasn't there.

Lights on. TV on. Jacket missing. Where is he?

He went upstairs and opened the child's bedroom door, careful not to wake him up. The bed was empty and the vacant room stared back at him.

"Jimmy? Jimmy?" Eric searched the building but he was not home. The clock on the living room wall showed eleven o'clock.

Maybe he's gone outside to play. At this hour? And he doesn't have any friends in this neighborhood.

He drove around the block to test that theory. There weren't any kids around; barely any adult was on the streets.

When he returned, he saw a piece of paper on the floor in front of the door and picked it up.

"He's with me. How about a swap? Send your answer to this digit."

A phone number was beneath the message.

He dropped on the couch, breathing heavily, and the paper shook in his hand.

She has Jimmy. She took my son.

On the other side of the street, at Benjamin's house, lights were on. And he saw a shadow moved behind the curtains. Benjamin was terrible at hiding; a big problem for a man whose hobby was spying on the neighborhood.

Eric crossed the street and rang the bell, but he didn't answer the door. He pressed the button again. If anyone had seen anything, it was Benjamin.

He banged on the door. "I know you're home... Open up... Open up, or I'll break it down."

The neighbor slightly opened the door. "What do you want?"

"Where is my son?"

"Why should I know?"

"You know anything that happens on this street." Eric was itching to grab him but stopped himself. "You have nothing better to do than sit behind that window and watch the hood all day long. And nights too. If anyone seen something, that's you."

"I can't help you." Benjamin was going to shut the door in his face. That was it. Eric slammed his body against the door and stepped in. The impact threw the man on the floor.

"I'm calling the cops." Benjamin's voice shook, and he staggered up to his feet. "Get out, or I call 911." he pointed to a landline on the table next to him.

"You won't get to that phone in one piece. You must have seen something. Where is he?" Eric shouted.

"I don't know." He said and took a step back. But as much as he was scared, still, a sparkle of joy twinkled in his eyes.

Eric saw that glitter of delight. It was revenge; payback for humiliating him many times in the past.

With both hands, he grabbed Benjamin from his collar. "You've seen something. Tell me, or I will break your bones one by one."

The man struggled to get him off himself, but only the grip on his neck became tighter.

"I'll tell you. Let go of me," he said after some thrashing.