Chapter 44

Christina was dying her hair red in the bathroom. The police were looking for a blonde, and her natural hair color was black. So she chose red and made it permanent; something she couldn't forget to wear.

The result was Okay except for some smudges on her forehead. With some tissue and hot water, she scrubbed them off.

Her phone vibrated in her pocket, and she picked it up.

It was a message from Eric: "Sorry, couldn't make it. Tomorrow. Same time, same place."

What was he doing that was more important than saving his son? And what if he doesn't show up again? There isn't really much I can do about that. I just want to be done with the exchange and get the hell out of this city.

"Okay. But you better show up." She typed and pressed send.

On her way out of the motel, she noticed the receptionist was looking at her hair. Christina nodded to her, and this time her shades were on.

When she arrived at the cabin, she saw the slashing on the door—clearly the work of an animal. Its sharp nails had carved deep lines into the wood.

"What the hell?" She examined the cuts with her finger.

It took some fiddling for the key to roll into the damaged lock but it didn't open. It was latched from the inside.

She banged on the door. "Open up. It's me."

The chain clanged like a bell around a cat's neck and signaled the boy's movement. Jimmy yanked the latches open and shuffled back to his bed.

"What's happened here?" She pointed at the lacerations.

He turned his back on her and pushed his face into his pillow.

She walked to the bed. "What happened?"

Jimmy stared at the wall.

She tried to turn him over, but he resisted. After some tugging, she flipped him on his back. His eyes were red, and tears had left their mark on the pillow.

"Did an animal attack you?" She asked.

He nodded.

"Did you realize what it was?" She sat on the bed and crossed her arms on her chest.

He shook his head.

"You were smart to latch the door. It probably was a bear, but not a big one." She scratched her chin. "I thought they had gone extinct in this area. And they don't attack humans—not without provocation. It's actually tried to break in!"

"If it wasn't for the latch, it had broken in. Big or small, it would eat me."

His accusing eyes made her uneasy. He was paying for something he had nothing to do with it.

"It's okay. I'm sorry for what happened, but last night was the last night. We're going to return you to your dad now."

"Like you did yesterday?"

"That wasn't my fault. Your father didn't show up, but he's coming today."

"Why wouldn't he show up? Why did he leave me like this?" The tears poured down his face again.

"Come on. Let's get you out of here."

She opened the lock that kept the chain around his waist and the iron dropped on the floor. As soon as Jimmy was free, a glint of light flickered in his eyes. He slammed his hands on her chest, threw her on her back, and ran out of the cabin.