Chapter 48

Leticia hadn't talked to Jimmy or Eric in the past three days. Nobody picked up the landline, and Eric didn't answer his cell phone.

She called him one more time, but it went to voicemail again.

She left the Boston airport building and flagged down a taxi. The vehicle stopped, and she got in the back.

"Where?" The driver looked into the mirror.

She told him the address, then lay back and looked at a city she thought she had left for good. Her dream job in Seattle turned out not to be very dreamy after all. They had "forgotten" to tell her that her internship didn't include a salary. And after six months, they choose one out of the four interns that competed for the job.

She couldn't go six months with no pay and quit. But Jimmy and Eric didn't need to know that. Mommy was worried for her son, so she got on a plane and returned home. It was their lucky day, and they should be grateful.

But why didn't anyone answer her calls? She wished she had bought Jimmy a cell phone.

The cab dropped her off in front of Eric's house, and she rang the bell a couple of times. The silent house stared back at her. She turned the doorknob, but it was locked. Peeking through one of the windows, she didn't see anybody, but the furniture was in place.

So they haven't moved. It's a school day anyway; Jimmy is in the classroom now. And god knows where is Eric! Stealing something most likely!

she wrinkled her nose.

But why has nobody answered the phone for three days? The pesky thought wouldn't leave her alone. Something was wrong.

She took the bus to the school, found the principal's office and the principal in it. The thin woman in her fifties touched her salt pepper hair and threw a weary look at her. "Yes?"

"I'm James Acevedo's mother. I want to see my son. Is he at school?"

"Hello, Ms. Acevedo. Sit down, please." She pushed up her glasses and looked interested in the matter. Her voice had a ring of authority to it, typical of teachers. As if everyone was a naughty kid, and she had to set them straight.

"Where is Jimmy?" Leticia ignored the empty seat beside her.

"That's a question I wanted to ask you if you answered my calls. He's been absent for the past few days."

"What do you mean he's been absent for a few days?" Leticia sank in the chair.

"I mean he didn't show up for school. You're his mother; you don't know where he is?"

"No, I don't. I left for Seattle."

"And where was Jimmy when you left?" Principal asked.

"I left him with his dad."

"Maybe you should go ask him."

Leticia leaned forward. "Oh, wow! Thanks for the great advice! I'm coming from his father's damn house. That's the first place I went and he's not there. He must be at school at this hour with you people."

"Well, he's not here." She shrugged.

"What good are you then if you don't know where is my son?" Leticia stood up.

"you're his mother, and you make me responsible? I'm not your nanny!" The principal pushed her glasses and her eyebrows up.

"Shut your trap, useless!" Leticia stormed out.

"The social services will hear of this." The woman shouted.

Half an hour later, she was back at Eric's house and pressed the doorbell several times. But nobody answered. She banged on the wooden door.

"Open! Eric you jackass, open the door! I know you're home."

The wood slightly trembled under her assault, but She had to give up after a few seconds and rubbed her aching hand. The empty house was more silent than ever. She turned around and across the street saw one of the neighbors behind his window.

He didn't try to hide or pretend he wasn't looking. Instead, he stared at her. Something in his gaze turned her stomach. In the past, when she dropped off Jimmy here she had seen him a couple of times. The old man spent a lot of time behind that window and watched life pass by.

She crossed the street and sensing something dark awaited her at that house, her heart sank. The man opened the door.

"Where are they?" She stepped on the porch.

"You don't know."

"I don't know what?" She could barely breathe.

He told her what hehad watched on the news, and the whole world went silent. Leticia could see hislips move, but all the sound was shut off. She sat on the stairs, covered herface in her hands, and screamed.