Chapter 15

Leticia was waiting for her son, Jimmy, outside his school, and a burning cigarette stub rested in her hand. Running her fingers into her short blonde hair, she took another drag, held her breath for a few seconds, and then let the grey smoke out of her nostrils.

The last bell chimed. Despite their teachers' orders, children ran out of the school building and into the busy yard. It was freedom after all, and they had to embrace it as soon as possible.

Some of the pupils headed home on their own, or with their friends. Others had their parents waiting for them.

A boy snatched a little girl's hat. It was Jimmy.

"Give it back, you rotten boy!" The girl narrowed her eyes, beaming death rays at him.

"Come and take it!" He waved the hat in the air.

"Give it back!" She made fists. The matter was getting serious.

"Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!" He didn't relinquish her property.

Leticia stubbed the cigarette under her foot and walked toward them. Jimmy saw her and stopped his little dance.

"You rotten boy!" The girl pulled the hat out of his hand, glared at him, and left.

"What are you doing here, Mom?" he asked.

"That was a bad thing you did." Leticia pointed her finger at him and he grinned.

"No laughing." She warned him and his lips immediately sealed in a straight line. He knew when he had approached the danger zone.

"What are you doing here?" He asked again.

"I got off work early today and decided to take my son home."

His soft hair had fallen into his forehead, and she pushed it back.

"Mom!" He stepped back.

If other children saw his mother fixed his hair, that reduced some of his street credit.

"Let's go." She said.

They drove home, she went into the kitchen to prepare dinner and heard the TV from the living room.

"Are you playing video games again?" She shouted.

"No." The volume went down.

"I can hear you." She put a pot in the sink and turned on the tap.

"Yes," he confessed.

"What about your homework?"

"Just ten minutes... Score!"

"Okay, but only ten minutes." She chopped up some vegetables.

" I'm hungry!"

"There is a slice of pizza in the fridge."

The TV fell silent. He appeared in the kitchen, scooped up the pizza, and vanished. The game was on again.

"Die! Die! Uh!"

"Homework now!" She shouted, and the TV fell quiet.

A couple of hours later, they were sitting at the dinner table.

"So how was school today?" She asked.

"It was fine." He chewed on his food.

"How many times did I tell you not to talk with a full mouth?"

"Well, you asked." He picked up a piece of bread.

"You can swallow and then answer."

"Women!"

"What did you say?"

Her cell phone rang, and she left the table to pick it up in the living room.

"Saved by the bell!" Jimmy congratulated himself.

"Hello?" She asked.

"Ms. Leticia Acevedo?"

" Yes, that's me."

"My name is Peter, and I'm an assistant manager at J&J group. Sorry to bother you at this hour. It's just sunset here in Seattle."

"No, it's OK." Her heart raced. She had waited for weeks to receive this call.

"I believe you have applied for an internship in our company."

"Yes, yes I did."

"Well, congratulations. You have been selected for the position."

"Really? That's great. Thank you! Thank you!" Her voice rose.

"You're welcome. We need you to start your work as soon as possible."

"How soon?"

"Next week. Can you do that?"

"Yes, yes of course. I'll be there." She realized she had raised her fist and lowered it.

"You have a nice night Ms. Acevedo."

"You too. Thank you."

She returned to the table. Jimmy's curious gaze wouldn't leave her face.

"Who was that?" He asked.

She picked up an apple and took a bite.

The internship was an opportunity of a lifetime. Her new job offered 65 grand a year salary. In Boston, she made forty. And if she played her cards well, J&J offered promotions. One day her salary could be a hundred grand or more. Who knew? But she couldn't take Jimmy with her. Not until she had established herself in the new town.

She looked at her son, and he flashed her a big smile.

At 10 pm, she tucked him in the bed, then went to the porch and sat on the swing. Lighting a cigarette she swung slowly back and forth and the rusty hinges squeaked.

Joanna, one of her neighbors, was walking her dog.

"Hey, Leticia." She waved at her.

"Hello."

The dog barked and wagged its tail.

"Hey, Alfredo." Leticia said.

The tail-wagging intensified. Joanna chatted with her for a while and then left.

Two hours and half a pack of cigarettes later, she went inside and locked the door. The swing slowed down until it stopped.

***

At the breakfast table, Jimmy looked at her mother. She was wearing her pajamas and was not in a hurry to change.

"Mom, we're going to be late. I told you. I can go myself." He said. It was twenty-five minutes to eight.

"No, we won't be late because you're not going to school today."

"No school?"

"Nope."

Usually, that would be great news but the sad look in her eyes made him uneasy.

"What's going on, Mom?"

"Nothing."

She didn't make him drink his untouched glass of milk, which was another red flag. Something was wrong.

She left the table and went to his room. Jimmy followed her and saw that she was packing a suitcase for him.

"Where are we going?"

"Not far." She wiped her eyes with her sleeve.

He sat on the bed next to her and flung his arms around her waist.