Chapter 35

Christina stopped the Chevrolet in front of the cabin and got out. A midnight drizzle had softened the soil. The forest was quiet in the chilly morning, and the wind blew among the naked trees.

She opened the cabin door, and its rank brought a wrinkle to her face. The place smelled of stale piss. She left the door open to let the fresh air in. Jimmy, lying on the bed, pulled down the cover from his face and looked at her. The light hit his eyes, and he squinted.

She looked around. He had finished a little of the water and all of the food.

Good, at least he's not starving.

"I have to go to the bathroom," he said.

She pointed at a bucket in the corner, which was the source of the ammonia stink. "you know what to do."

"It's number two."

"Fine, but don't try anything. Not in the mood for another race in the woods."

"Don't worry."

She picked up a piece of rope from the chest, tied it around his waist, and grabbed the other end of it. "Get the bucket. You're gonna empty it."

He picked it up and turned his face because of the smell.

"March," she said.

Jimmy led the way, and they went outside.

After a few steps, he stopped. "You want me to do it in front of you?"

She pointed at a bush a few yards away. "Do it there. It's not like I can hear you."

He squatted down behind the vegetation and the foliage shielded his body except for his head.

When he was done, he stood up and emptied the bucket.

"I'm thirsty." He said.

"You had water."

"You really suck at kidnapping!"

She dragged him back to the cabin. "Don't worry. I've got you covered."

She picked up a bag of food, and bottled water from her car, and placed them on the table.

"Why don't you turn on the stove? It's cold here, you know." Jimmy dropped on the bed.

Christina pulled a chair and sat down. "Because an accident might happen, and the place catches fire. I don't want you to die like that, kid."

"I like it when you're so concerned about my wellbeing. And don't call me kid. My dad does that."

"You got a mouth on you. So you don't like your dad?"

"No, I don't like you."

"Eric has kidnapped my brother. That's why I took you." Christina pointed her finger at him. "He started this."

"What did your brother do? My dad doesn't go around kidnap people for nothing."

" Well... you know...Where is your mom?"

"My mom is dead. I told you before."

"No, you didn't."

"Yes, she died when I was born." He lowered his head and looked at his feet." My dad never married again. He loved her so much. And he hates me because I killed her."

" No, you didn't."

"I think he's right. I'm the reason my mother is dead."

"He's not right. You shouldn't listen to him."